Talk

Advanced search

Private school bursaries

(24 Posts)
Kidakidder Tue 21-Mar-17 19:25:28

I know that this is a bit of a piece of string question, but what sort of earnings limit do you have to have in order to qualify for the average bursary for an average private school?

artiface Tue 21-Mar-17 20:17:34

As far as I'm aware its not even just about earnings, things like the property you live in and if you have 'excess' space can be considered (I guess the idea is that you could sell and move somewhere smaller) and savings/investments. But schools will all be different. I don't know where you live but Christs Hospital has a reputation for generous bursaries
www.christs-hospital.org.uk/admissions/fees/

Kidakidder Tue 21-Mar-17 20:40:07

Eeek that sounds complex! The one I was looking at was Walden School, previously known as Friends School. It's Quaker in origin. It looks great but is eye-wateringly expensive.sad

user1490123259 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:41:52

Its also likely that they will assess whether both parents are maximising their earning potential, etc

Kidakidder Tue 21-Mar-17 20:57:34

Gosh so they really poke into every corner? Reasonable I suppose but sounds terribly invasive!

BigGreenOlives Tue 21-Mar-17 21:00:36

Completely reasonable as it might be 40% of 7 x £35,000 with the amount increasing each year.

artiface Tue 21-Mar-17 21:09:19

Quaker schools can be calm and I can see why you'd be drawn. Why not just call them for a chat?

explodingkittens Tue 21-Mar-17 21:26:30

They all vary massively in terms of what's offered and what the limits are, so you will need to contact the school in question and ask. Be aware that yes, they will delve into every aspect of your financial life - and quite right too! You will probably need to supply bank statements for several months, p60s and payslips, mortgage details, any equity, pensions, investments, estimated value of any assets (eg cars, household goods etc) and anything else you can think of! And most schools will reassess this every year. They will certainly expect both parents (if applicable) to be working full-time unless there are very good reasons why not.

However, don't be afraid to ask, they're used to it and any decent school will be more than happy to talk to you about bursary provision.

Crumbs1 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:26:59

Ours didn't poke into everything. You had to win scholarships before bursary would be considered it then the school helped make sure all possible outgoing was removed from income.
Our income is well above what is usually quoted as a maximum. It depends on the school. Some have far more flexibility than others.

AveEldon Tue 21-Mar-17 21:28:27

£80- £120K max - sliding scale

Kidakidder Tue 21-Mar-17 21:48:36

You can have an income of £120k and still get a bursary??? shock

AveEldon Tue 21-Mar-17 21:54:28

Double checked and I'm slightly out but St Pauls Girls - current total household income threshold is £110k (gross)

BigGreenOlives Tue 21-Mar-17 21:55:23

Yes in London - household income. Allows doctors, lawyers, actors etc to send their children to private school, not just hedge fund & private equity types.

Crumbs1 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:05:39

Ours is higher income than above and we got bursaries but we were transferring four children. It was the amount left post outgoings that was used to calculate not gross income.

Kidakidder Tue 21-Mar-17 22:52:41

Crumbs1, thry looked at what's left after the school fees?

We have three children and could only afford to educate one privately at full rate, so would need bursaries to put all three through. Do they take that into account? The younger ones wouldnt go yet.

Crumbs1 Wed 22-Mar-17 06:38:28

Ours did. I'm not sure the processes are quite as pure as people imagine in some schools. Some certainly have fixed limits on income or other criteria for allocating funds but others use bursaries in a more general way to support potential families. Ours asked very little and had a 'we'll work something out' sort of way. We were really surprised but my husband knew the head quite well and we could reduce our apparent disposable income by listing all outgoings including support for children them at university, professional fees, electricity bills, everything imagineable. It might be rare situation because head was aware I was beginning cancer treatment and was being kind but we were aware of a couple of other families who were supported in a similar way. The children had to win scholarships first but that, I am sure, wasn't pure at all. It was a very well respected 'top 10' school.

Why private though? Our eldest two probably had a better all round education through a comprehensive. We only did it because boarding reduced potential impact of my treatment on them at exam time which was complicated by my husband working away quite a bit.

hertsandessex Wed 22-Mar-17 08:37:49

Any chance of an academic scholarship? I see they say publicly that they are up to 50% which is unusual. (I think they are trying to attract more academic talent as hasn't been one of the strongest in the area in recent years.) You may find that with a combination of some scholarship money and some bursary the fees could be a lot lower even if your family finances are quite good. No harm in contacting the Bursar's office and getting the forms.

Kidakidder Wed 22-Mar-17 09:21:26

Although my children are of course, utterly perfect, there is not a snowball's chance in hell of them getting a scholarship! Im still goung to look into it further though.

Crumbs1 why private? I think my kids would do best in a calm environment with smaller classes, and a school that allows them to be individual. Eldest has Asd and the provision locally is dire.

Kidakidder Wed 22-Mar-17 09:22:25

I hope your cancer treatment went well. It sounds like youve had a tough time of it. X

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 22-Mar-17 12:44:08

Just looked at the website for my son's school in Cambridge.

Those earning up to £74K can apply for bursaries.

user1466518624 Wed 22-Mar-17 16:53:20

Just to warn you about Walden School they would not take my ds with speech delay. Have you spoken to them about your child's ASD?

Kidakidder Wed 22-Mar-17 17:45:32

No not yet but the prosoectus looked encouraging. That's sad to hear - what did they say?

user1466518624 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:48:43

Will pm you

Crumbs1 Wed 22-Mar-17 18:14:51

Cancer treatment was fine - a while ago now - but boarding eased the concern that being ill might impact on their education. School was very kind to us, on reflection.
I'd look at options and then make an appointment to speak to the admissions lead about your circumstances. Sometimes 'off record' chat is more fruitful than policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now