Advanced search

extra time in exams?

(17 Posts)
KathG Sat 18-Mar-17 12:45:42

Does anyone have experience of this for gcses please? (For diagnosed serious medical condition that is not at all predictable in terms of effect from one day to the next)

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 18-Mar-17 12:46:29

Lots of info to download online as I am looking into it for ds also.

LIZS Sat 18-Mar-17 12:50:09

Check the JCQ regulations. You would need written evidence then discuss with senco/school exams officer. However I fear for ongoing problems you may already have missed the deadline for this summer's exam sitting.

toomuchtvandsocialmedia Sat 18-Mar-17 12:53:06

The deadline for long term conditions was 21stFeb. Have you spoken to the school SENCO to see if they have arrangements in place?

tallulahbalghar Sat 18-Mar-17 12:54:17

My son is dyslexic and gets 25% extra time in all of his exams, tests since gcse level- school arranged all of this. Speak to your additional needs staff at your school. Same will apply while he is doing A levels.

KathG Sat 18-Mar-17 13:47:58

She is starting her gcses in September - so no deadline rush, but may make a difference for different boards (as they don't take the same for all their exams).

trinity0097 Sat 18-Mar-17 21:18:29

It won't be a problem if something like rest breaks are what are needed, a school can grant those.

Access arrangements are valid for all JCQ boards, but have to be applied for separately if CIE are used (tends to be private schools who do CIE IGCSEs)

Illness on the day is dealt with on the day via special consideration, can't be applied for beforehand.

What do you think they will need to be able to access the exams?

Bluebonnie Sun 19-Mar-17 08:30:56

As Trinity says, rest breaks and quite a few other access arrangements do not need to be applied for in advance. And the girl is currently in Year 9? Applications for AA need to be submitted before 21 Feb for the year when the May/June exams are scheduled.

Presumably school is aware of her (permanent and serious) medical condition, and she sometimes needs special arrangements to complete work in school. In this case school would be able to make an application for specific access arrangements in advance providing you can get a consultant's letter saying what the condition is and what arrangements may be needed.

It's the consultant's letter which may take a long time to get.

As LIZS says, see the SENCo to discuss, then you can ask the consultant to name the appropriate arrangement(s) in a letter, and school can make any necessary application any time after the start of Y9.

wannabestressfree Sun 19-Mar-17 08:41:35

We have a special member of staff who does ours in house (not Senco or exams officer) and they look at evidence and make a decision. We have lots of different conditions catered for e.g. Scribes, readers, extra time, toilet stops etc

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sun 19-Mar-17 12:26:37

For long term medical you need to give a letter to school on headed paper from the consultant (GP won't do) stating what access arrangements they need and why. This needs to be hand signed.

wannabestressfree Sun 19-Mar-17 15:03:54

Not for all schools and all conditions. I know this as all my sons have 25% and one has a reader. He was assessed within school with no consultants letter.

trinity0097 Sun 19-Mar-17 19:54:05

Consultants can't demand certain things, and they don't understand the particular rules and regulations that school's must follow. Most decent EOs would take a letter from a consultant with a pinch of salt and discuss with the pupil what they think that they would need.

For example I saw one who said that the pupil needed extra time, but the regulations in no way shape or form would have allowed extra time, but unlimited rest breaks were fine. This was what the consultant really meant but did not have the words for it!

BasiliskStare Mon 20-Mar-17 00:39:33

I do not know the exact rules but Ds has had extra time at GCSE and 6th form ( leaving school exams) for dyslexia. He was required to not only have the proper forms ( signed off by an Ed Psych) which the exam board would take , but also to show that e.g. extra time or using a computer instead of writing (for example) was a "normal way of working" for him. You need to ask the exam board and the school as to what may or not be taken into account with exams with your DC's particular circumstances. Sounds obvious but it usually is. .

BasiliskStare Mon 20-Mar-17 00:52:17

Sorry when I say "proper forms" I mean he had a test / diagnosis from an Ed Psych who the exam boards and school recognised for e g extra time for school exams ( by which I mean external public exams , i.e. GCSE / A Level etc) Subsequently he has had one for University.

I cannot comment on your DC's particular situation but I would phone the school and the exam board re the exams and how soon in advance you need to do this - do it soon ( make sure you haven't missed the boat) Good luck to you and DD

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Mon 20-Mar-17 19:39:55

JCQ give exam concessions for learning needs and for long term medical conditions. The former requires assessment from someone accepted by the centre who must have a level 7 qualification. A diagnosis is no guarantee of concessions. So one of my dyslexics does not qualify because she's well over the threshold (standardised score of 84). A form 8 is then produced. For medical conditions then it should be a decision between the pupil, the senco and the consultant. If there is then evidence of need then the letter from consultant (I tell the parents to tell the consultant what to say as they are pretty clueless) and if it is a sensible request and teachers give me evidence, then it is granted. You don't have to do a form 8 but a file note on headed paper stating the need, reasons why and evidence. The key is to start early. February of year 11 or 12 is too late.

KathG Sat 25-Mar-17 17:53:34

Thanks for all the advice. She is at a specialist hospital, so hopefully they will know what words they need to include. But I will get this underway, as the unpredictability of her condition makes it a challenge.

mummytime Sat 25-Mar-17 22:19:58

I would start by talking to the SENCO, who can refer you to the right person if it isn't them. And they will be able to give you guidance on what they need in a consultants letter. They can also discuss what access arrangements are possible, hopefully in discussion with your DD, so as to decide which is the best approach to use.

( rest breaks, small room, extra time, use of computer/amanuenses etc.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: