Talk

Advanced search

School lunches price increase

(9 Posts)
AugustRose Fri 17-Mar-17 11:20:39

We've just been told that the school lunch price will be increasing again for he 3rd time in less than 18 months. We will be paying £2.30 per day (I understand that this is probably less than most) which makes the increase 15% since Jan last year.

I just wondered how much your school lunches have increase by, if at all. We don't have our own kitchen and the meals come from another school nearby.

MrsGsnow18 Fri 17-Mar-17 11:29:12

There was a recent increase in the school I work in. It's now £2.55 per day. (Went up from £2.40) £2.55 is quite an odd price I think too as it makes it awkward for children who take all week. It used to be £12 for the 5 days, which was a nice even number,easy to have exact money for etc. Now it's £12.75 for the week.
It might not seem like a huge increase and it's good for children to get a hot meal etc. But I know when it comes time for my children to go to school I'll have to do pack lunches as I def think they would be cheaper!

Ta1kinPeace Fri 17-Mar-17 16:02:58

Most UK food is imported.
The Pound fell 18% after the vote last summer
Inflation is rising
its inevitable and will keep happening each term from now on

BackforGood Fri 17-Mar-17 16:46:52

£2.30 is still very reasonable though.
It is what it is. If ingredients cost rises, or the money being paid to staffing costs rises, or the subsidies that used to be there have been removed, then the 'customer' has to pay more. It's budgeting really.
No help I know if you are struggling to find the difference each day for several children, but cost have to be met.

Emphasise Fri 17-Mar-17 16:51:45

Ours is still £2.10 but I know it's under review due to the rising cost of food with the low pound and the impact of changes to minimum wage and national insurance

dancemom Fri 17-Mar-17 16:55:10

£1.90 here

BoBaraMoMara Fri 17-Mar-17 16:57:25

No doubt when A50 is triggered the pound will drop again. It can only continue to increase in this level of economic uncertainty and considering that our food is mostly imported.

Sixisthemagicnumber Fri 17-Mar-17 17:02:29

I pay £16 per week but that is at senior school. I think it was about £14 at primary school a couple of years ago.

AugustRose Fri 17-Mar-17 18:37:38

Thanks. I was just curious and it will no doubt rise further. We are OK for the minute as DS2 still gets free school lunches for another year so only pay for DD2, if I had two to pay for they would need to have packed lunches. DD1 has packed lunches at secondary as their meals went up quite a bit too last September.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now