Talk

Advanced search

Private schools in North London?

(17 Posts)
AgsPhotographs Tue 14-Mar-17 15:44:16

I’m based in Highgate (North London) and am looking for a good private school for our daughter (she would be starting at the age of 4) Ideally I’d like a coeducational school which offers a comprehensive education (4-18 years old). I would be grateful for any recommendations. Thank you! :-)

dinkystinky Tue 14-Mar-17 15:58:01

You have Highgate School just down the road from you that goes from 4 upwards which seems to tick all your boxes - I know a few children who go there who love it.

AgsPhotographs Tue 14-Mar-17 17:34:31

Hi dinkystinky. Thanks for your reply. Highgate School starts at 3+ which is too early for us.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 14-Mar-17 17:43:00

You can start later though! Just because it offers starts at 3 doesn't mean you have to start then

Mary21 Tue 14-Mar-17 19:19:16

Mill Hill foundation schools?
There can be benefit of picking a prep then change at 11 or 13 as it's hard to know what type of senior school will suit now

wickerlampshade Tue 14-Mar-17 22:26:19

Pre prep like annemount, the avenue or golders hill now then sit for highgate at 7 with Belmont and a few preps as backup

wickerlampshade Wed 15-Mar-17 06:55:52

You do realise that the first two years at Highgate are mornings only if you start at 3? Hard to get in at either point. There's channing too very local, competitive entry at 4 but it's girls only. Only other Co ed is the mill hill schools grimsdell/Belmont also standard entry at 3 and 7.

AgsPhotographs Mon 20-Mar-17 12:31:45

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm now checking all the schools you mentioned. I really love the look of Grimsdell. Do any of you send your children there?

Bellini239 Tue 21-Mar-17 13:31:59

Yes I would shoot for Highgate school you can always feed the kids in a bit later, one year isn't the end of the world

CruCru Tue 21-Mar-17 15:26:50

You could look at King Alfred in Hampstead; this is co ed and goes to 18.

I think Forest is also co ed and goes to 18 (they use a diamond structure) but it is quite a way east.

How old is your daughter? From memory, Highgate had a two or three month window during which you could register. I don't know about Forest's or King Alfred's registration rules.

If you would consider a single sex school, those that I know go to 18 are Channing (from memory, I don't think they had any restrictions on when you could register), South Hampstead (you get a two week window the September two years before your daughter would start), Habs (quite far out), NLCS (quite far out).

Bellini239 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:43:13

Yes Forest school is a very good call and it has a big intake from north London and even have a school bus which does a pick up from Highgate area X

OrlandoTheCat Tue 21-Mar-17 16:42:37

King Alfred is a very particular type of school though. I would look carefully into its ethos before making any decisions (as, actually, I'm sure you would do anyway!)

CruCru Tue 21-Mar-17 18:57:56

Would you consider any of the international schools? The Dwight School is in N11 / N12, the American School is in St John's Wood and Southbank is in Hampstead, Westminster and Kensington. All of those will go right through to 18 and are co ed.

wickerlampshade Tue 21-Mar-17 22:33:14

Yes, King Alfred's is very alternative! Very wealthy celebrity parents.

OrlandoTheCat Wed 22-Mar-17 10:15:21

I went to King Alfreds for a few years at primary. I simply adored it.
But I was becoming quite feral.....

OrlandoTheCat Wed 22-Mar-17 10:16:03

This was in the 80s though. So I'm sure it's changed a fair bit since then...

wickerlampshade Wed 22-Mar-17 11:10:08

I see the kids in large groups from time to time. Feral is maybe a bit strong, but only a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now