We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Watford Grammar for Girls

(7 Posts)
Mumof2D Wed 08-Mar-17 22:05:19

Hello,
Any suggestions/thoughts/comments on Watford Grammar School for girls? How is the ethinic mix? How is the environment for students to achieve their best? Any particular focus area of school ... as in Art, Science, Maths, Academic?
Thanks..

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 08-Mar-17 22:18:21

I have a daughter there, she likes it and I am very happy with the school. Particular strengths are music, art, maths, Latin/classics and pastoral care.

MumTryingHerBest Thu 09-Mar-17 07:58:58

Mumof2D there is a full break down of their 2016 exam results here:

www.watfordgrammarschoolforgirls.org.uk/page/?title=Exam+Results&pid=13

I'm not sure what year your DC is in but the following gives details for exam pass marks etc. for all the schools in the consortium:

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10227

There maybe more information that will be useful here:

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=18

HarriettePotter Thu 09-Mar-17 17:28:38

watching with interest

Mumof2D Fri 10-Mar-17 09:31:35

Thanks..

cress1da Fri 10-Mar-17 19:11:59

My dds there - like it. Art is a huge strength. Normal academic subjects generally good (obviously, the teachers, being human, vary from the absolutely superb to the could be a bit better). The racial mix is very diverse but they seem to get on well, with my dd's friendship group being a bit like the United Nations!

Girls who want to achieve will have lots of high-achieving friends so a good peer group. Behaviour is generally good.

FiveHoursSleep Sat 11-Mar-17 18:25:45

I have two daughters there and the third will join her sisters in September.
My eldest is a high achiever and has been stretched and encouraged. She's preparing for her GCSEs now and I think the school are handling the uncertainty of the new exams nicely .
My second daughter is bright but has ASD and dyspraxia so is struggling with various things. She is receiving support in school but I've had to be quite forceful about them making 'reasonable adjustments' for her. She is doing well now and seems reasonably happy.
Their music and art provision is good as is their maths and science. The girls come from all sorts of backgrounds and there are more high achievers and less academically struggling girls than you'd get in a completely non selective school. We have seen some 'interesting' behaviour during our time there but it's all been dealt with by the school.
I would recommend WGGS for girls who want to do well at school and enjoy learning. I suspect it might be disheartening if you were bottom of every class but there seems to be an equal emphasis placed on academic subjects, the arts and PE, so most girls do seem to find something they are good at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now