Talk

Advanced search

Boarding school for DS for Sixth Form: Ellesmere, Shrewsbury, where else?

(13 Posts)
oneofthegiantsisme Mon 27-Feb-17 15:43:30

DS is currently in Y10 at our local state comprehensive, but his school doesn't have sixth form provision, so he'll need to look elsewhere for A levels.

DD (2 years older) has gone to Moreton Hall and loves it. DS would like a similar experience, but obviously can't follow her.

An hour or so from Chester area would be ideal. We've got a stack of prospectuses, and at the moment Ellesmere & Shrewsbury are looking promising, but I don't know if there's anywhere else in the general vicinity we ought to look at that I haven't found. Open Days are in May/June, so obviously we'll visit to decide; I just want to make sure that I've got all the possibles on my list smile.

For the record, he's academic, not into team sports (though does Scouting-type outdoorsy stuff quite happily), into chess & drama but mostly spends his time on video games.

Any advice would be welcome!

Dancingdreamer Mon 27-Feb-17 22:45:47

Other options coukd be Repton in Derbyshire or Bromsgrove in Worcestershire. Repton mostly full boarders I think. Bromsgrove about 1/3 each day, weekly and full boarders. Repton set in lovely countryside so lots of outdoor activities on door step but very sporty so not sure how less sporty child would fit in. Bromsgrove seems to have a niche for most children.

bojorojo Tue 28-Feb-17 10:08:22

There is also Concord College near Shrewsbury. I assume St Peter's, York and Malvern College are too far and Rugby? So few boarding schools in your area!

Dancingdreamer Tue 28-Feb-17 18:30:23

Elles,ere is your obvious choice. I know people who ent there albeit some years ago and they have all done well afterwards although I think Shrewsbury is generally more well known and has the more academic reputation.

oneofthegiantsisme Wed 01-Mar-17 11:31:14

Thank you for the suggestions - I'll take a look at those. Yes, York & Malvern are a bit of a hike, which I'd prefer to avoid.

We did have a quick look at Ellesmere at the last open day, but arrived late so didn't get to see all that much. It seemed good, but we were slightly concerned about the fact that the sixth form dorms we visited all had big tubs of protein powder in them - I think they were all the rugby team rooms! I don't have a problem with that per se, as long as DS isn't going to be the odd one out if he's not in the gym working out.

bojorojo Wed 01-Mar-17 12:12:17

Most boys schools take sport seriously! Sports are a big selling point for lots of schools! Protein tubs would put me off though. As you do not have much choice, is it not wiser to look at a wider area, at least to get comparisons?

oneofthegiantsisme Wed 01-Mar-17 12:33:03

I don't have a problem with schools taking sports seriously, as long as it is accepted (by the school and the pupils) that it isn't for everyone. DD's school takes lacrosse, in particular, very seriously, but she hasn't felt left out because she's not sporty herself. As long as there is a place for a non-sporty child, that's fine.

I'll broaden the field, I think. Just looked at Concord and it's a bit pricy (more even than Shrewsbury), and also looks a bit too international - students of different nationalities are great, but I don't really want DS to be in a serious minority as a British boarder. We've ruled out Ruthin for that reason.

Dancingdreamer Wed 01-Mar-17 18:30:39

Given what you said, I would take a serious look at Bromsgrove.

bojorojo Wed 01-Mar-17 23:49:00

I do actually agree about non sporting children being recognised for their talents. Lots of schools seem to think sport is the be all and end all of school life. My DD had friends at Harrow and the rugby team were Gods!

I do not know much about Concord and I am surprised it is more than Shrewsbury. I hadn't realised it was so international which surprises me as it is not within striking distance of London. It was just a school near Shrewsbury that came to mind.

I have a friend with a very non sporty son who really enjoyed Rugby School, odd as that may seem. Genuinely something for everyone! Hope you find somewhere suitable.

oneofthegiantsisme Thu 02-Mar-17 16:15:31

Thank you for the pointers - we'll keep looking and plan some visits.

staveleymum Thu 02-Mar-17 16:18:23

Not sure if too far out but Heathfield (Halifax) is just off the M62. Cant give any recommendations other than I know it is there as my DD & DS use the pool for swimming lessons.

Dancingdreamer Sat 04-Mar-17 07:55:42

Just had another thought. What about Old Swinford Hospital School? It's state boarding and comprehensive rather then private so more limited facilities and looks a bit rough round the edges. However it seems a nice school with nice boys and girls in 6th form.

oneofthegiantsisme Mon 06-Mar-17 15:26:35

Thanks, will take a look at both of those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now