Talk

Advanced search

Tonbridge school- boarding houses

(9 Posts)
Mater20 Fri 17-Feb-17 19:55:30

My DD has been offered a place at Tonbridge school. I ve seen a few of the boarding houses but still not sure : Judd, School house . He is not keen on Judd house even though there are 2 that share a room in the Ist Year. Anyone has any idea of the houses?
Is it advisable to let the school choose for you if we are unable to decide.?

edale Fri 17-Feb-17 23:19:00

Park house. Without a doubt.

Mater20 Sat 18-Feb-17 07:45:17

Thank you so much for that. Do you have a son that goes to that school? As we have to pick 3 choices of houses, what will be the option for the other two?

edale Sat 18-Feb-17 12:43:44

First of all, congratulations to your son. It's a really wonderful school!
My husband went there and is still very involved with the school and the OTs. (Although please bear in mind he went to Park House so might be biased!)
Park House is a great house and very sporty.
Parkside is also good and sporty, with a nice vibe.
Judde is fine and is quite inclusive of all types of boys.
Manor and Ferox are less traditional and have a slightly less defined character.
School House is perhaps more suitable for the quieter, more academic boy.
Hope that helps!

yikesanotherbooboo Sat 11-Mar-17 10:46:41

I have close family member at Tonbridge, he said School based on the boys he knows. The characteristics are not wildly different . I would think about house master ; is he likely to leave position during your son's tenure and what is his style? Some are more authoritarian than others.

whatnext2016 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:12:58

Related - any views on day houses at Tonbridge? Thanks

yikesanotherbooboo Tue 14-Mar-17 19:47:27

Generally boys are quite evenly dispersed ; ie 1-2 scholars plus a variety of others.. 2-3 younger brothers. Some schools are big feeders and there can be up to 3/4 of boys from one school but not a full house so to speak. The houses characters are influenced by current crop of boys and by the house masters .No really strong characteristics ; buildings differ in how recently done up( boys don't care) , some run more trips, situation in relation to main campus and sports fields.I would see what you think of house master , it might be difficult to extract a lot of detail about which house current winners of various comps: rugby/ debating/ gen knowledge/ film etc . None would be a bad choice I can pm you some very subjective thoughts if you like

whatnext2016 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:19:36

Thanks Yikesanotherbobo

Is your DS a dayB or boarder? A PM would be welcome. Thank you.

whatnext2016 Fri 24-Mar-17 14:43:13

Hello Yikes - did you get my PM? Thinking perhaps I didn't send it correctly or perhaps you'd just rather not reply, either way is fine but just wondering :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now