Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much is your scholarship offer worth?

(46 Posts)
ChocolateWombat Tue 14-Feb-17 10:38:40

I have seen some other old threads on this topic, with people often mentioning that the scholarship offer they receive doesn't remember what is mentioned on the school websites, (usually less generous,mbut sometimes more) so I just wondered what people have been offered this year or in recent years.

It's one of those questions you can't really ask at the school gate,it can ask on an anonymous forum and hopefully people won't mind giving percentages and figures.

So, if you are able to say if a percentage or absolute figure has been offered (and if a percentage, what that is worth in money terms) that would be really helpful, along with if it is academic, or music or whatever. And if you were offered more than one,mere they very different in value?

All very nosey I know.......but I understand that the move is towards bursaries and away from scholarships, with some being purely honorary and not worth a penny...so just trying to get a feel for the lie of the land. Thanks.

chameleon71 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:02:54

20% academic plus 10% sport - website says up to 50%

PhilODox Tue 14-Feb-17 11:14:20

Boys school- 50% off fees
Associated Girls school- 10% off fees hmm
Can you guess which school is more diverse and socially varied? And which has higher academic results? And better destinations? And which school values individuals and individualism, and which turns out a 'type'?

Freddorika Tue 14-Feb-17 11:15:28

25 percent. Dd got 15 percent at another school.

PlumT Tue 14-Feb-17 11:49:53

10% academic scholarship

Ethelswith Tue 14-Feb-17 11:51:19

10% scholarship

(Maximum scholarship is 25%, but bursaries can go to 100% plus a uniform allowance).

sandybayley Tue 14-Feb-17 12:12:16

20% academic plus 10% music. Website says up to 50%.

hertsandessex Tue 14-Feb-17 12:43:28

10% for academic and 10% for music. Negotiated up to 50% total but 10-20% is the normal figure in most cases.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 14-Feb-17 12:59:59

10% academic on tuition fees.

You can get up to 15% in each award (eg. music, sport, academic, drama, dt) but the total will not be allowed to exceed 25% tuition fees. No scholarship for the boarding element if they board.

exexpat Tue 14-Feb-17 13:12:09

DD gets 10% as an academic scholar.

The scholarships at her school are variable, but the school also has a very big bursary programme, so basically scholarships are mostly about prestige/academic opportunities/a little bit of money, and most of the funds go into means-tested bursaries.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 14-Feb-17 13:41:30

Ds had 10%, dd's scholarship is a fixed amount but was also offered 30% at another school

Butkin1 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:14:17

DD has sports scholarship in Yr 9 which is worth 10%..

ChocolateWombat Tue 14-Feb-17 14:16:56

Interesting - quite a few that are worth a pretty sizeable amount of money over 7 years and certainly more thAn a token amount.
Did you find it was the less popular schools that offered bigger scholarships to lure people in?
Although the the big name schools seem to have big pots of cash for giving out, they seem to be giving it as bursaries now as far as I can see - are any of those awards over 20% to what you would consider a big name or top flight academic school?

sazzy5 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:21:26

I would think they offer larger percentages where they want to lure you in. There have been some pretty big offers anywhere from 25% upwards. The less academic schools are definitely pushing to get some top performers in.

chameleon71 Tue 14-Feb-17 14:53:34

The less academic schools are definitely more generous. I know one family who managed to talk the scholarship up to 90% last year (50% academic, 20% music, 20% sport) - when I thought that 50% was the absolute threshold...

Most of the big names view scholarships as honorary - so 5-10% is common and over 20% would be v rare. They use their funds to provide bursaries instead.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 14-Feb-17 15:57:05

I know of a school offering 100% for sixth form if you get very high GCSE results.

paperbattles Tue 14-Feb-17 16:09:33

Dd has had offer of music scholarship to selective well known girls school, the only scholarship offer I think - offer is just for free music lessons and even then the school asks if you can afford it to pay for the lessons anyway.
In hindsight I should have entered dd for other less demanding schools and then might have been able to negotiate on scholarships; but I felt that wasn't totally honourable - to send dd into numerous schools pretending to be really keen on all of them.

CookieDoughKid Wed 15-Feb-17 07:06:17

Any of these in Oxfordshire grin? Especially for sports? Ds competing at world BmX junior elite level but it's not a traditional private school sport. Would an indie still be interested?

AnotherNewt Wed 15-Feb-17 07:16:34

CookieDoughKid

You'd need to ask each possible school. The ones I know well all require strong performance at that school's major sports, and supporting that with excellence in minor ones obviously makes for a better sports candidate.

It's less common AFAIK to get a scholarship based solely on a minor sport or one the school does not offer at all. Though schools vary, and some might.

BrieAndChilli Wed 15-Feb-17 07:21:28

Can I ask those of you with bursaries what percentage of bursary you have and what your household income is?

MollyHuaCha Wed 15-Feb-17 07:25:11

Scholarship for a curriculum subject and exhibition for another subject, combined = 15% which is currently worth £5000 a year.

GrassWillBeGreener Wed 15-Feb-17 09:30:50

25% each academic and music - but combined max is 30%. + 3 music lessons/week. Topped up by bursary. Co-ed boarding.

I'm trying to increase my income so it's nice to know there's a solid floor if our bursary gets reduced in later years.

School youngest is looking to go to still does bursaries only after a scholarship offer so hoping will end up with similar.

amidawsh Wed 15-Feb-17 10:09:52

50% academic at one school
20% academic at another

homebythesea Wed 15-Feb-17 10:14:55

Drama scholarship about £150 a term!!

It is accepted that this is more for kudos than assisting the family finances

CookieDoughKid Wed 15-Feb-17 21:35:48

Thank you AnotherNewt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now