Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Brighton College Pre-Prep/Prep

(6 Posts)
user1471563400 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:24:37

Does anyone have any recent first hand experience with their own children here? I got great impressions from the open day and chatting to staff but slightly worried about the pressures of a very academic school on children. It would have suited me down to the ground as a self-motivated, studious child but I don't yet know if my own children will be the same!

user1471563400 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:03:09

Bump

sushimaniac Fri 24-Feb-17 16:43:40

I don't live in the area any more but a few years ago heard something about them weeding out the less academic pupils (really young ones) at the end of term, with very little notice. I guess that they have an academic record to uphold and if your child isn't showing signs of being academic, they'd rather not take the punt with your child. I personally don't think that this is a mark of a good school, as should be about improving a child from the position they start - value added in other words - rather than creaming naturally gifted children and then taking the credit for their inevitably good results later on!! Check this out as if true, I'd proceed with caution (unless your kid is clearly going to have no problems, in which case they might love it)

DaffodilDarling Sun 12-Mar-17 14:53:19

This is certainly true at the Senior level - parents are sent a letter!! An 'A' is the expected grade!!

I'm not sure if this does happen at Prep level, but I would not be terribly surprised.

brightonrocks247 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:12:50

This is completely untrue. I have children at the school and have had experience of all 3 schools. Brighton College is a selective school which accepts pupils who are on the bright side of average. My children are not highly academic and they have all thrived at the school. They are each very different in their interests and have been encouraged to pursue their strengths and be the best versions of themselves. The pastoral care at the school is excellent. The children are happy and I believe that you will have witnessed this when you attended the Open Morning. The school will not suit everyone and on the very rare occasions that it is clear that a child is struggling, staff will speak to the parents to determine the best way forward for that child. This is well in advance, and not out of the blue with no time to prepare for an alternative. I don't see that as anything other than ensuring that a child's well-being is put first.

JudgeJudySheidlin Sun 12-Mar-17 19:05:29

A friend used to teach at Brighton Col & the letter about A grades is a myth. But it is a selective school & therefore the kind of parents who send their children here, will have extremely high expectations.

We looked at the prep school some years ago & while we liked the facilities, we also had concerns it wasn't the sort of place where DS would flourish. He's extremely bright, but we later found out he was dyslexic & while the school has excellent dyslexia support, I think the pressure would of crushed DS. I guess you have to think of what is best for your child & if they can handle that kind of environment. I doubt it would be that intense at the pre prep level though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now