Talk

Advanced search

Independent schools in York

(9 Posts)
hotdog74 Thu 09-Feb-17 16:20:15

Hi, I put a message on the local board, but I was advised to put one here as the York board is so quiet. I hope that's ok!
My DD is currently in Year 1 at a local Primary school but for various reasons we are considering moving her. Our options are either The Mount, St Peter's (Clifton), Bootham or The Minster Schools. The Mount is by far the easiest commute for us and we visited last weekend at their open weekend and from what we saw she is currently working at a similar level to their Year 1. It did look very nice, but I am concerned that with such low pupil numbers how financially viable is it?
Neither my husband nor I went to private school so we have no personal experience to draw on, and also neither of us are originally from the York area so have no peers we can ask either!
Do any of you have children in any of these schools, or have any knowledge of them that could help us decide what to do for the best? Many thanks in advance!

lolaonrollerskates Thu 09-Feb-17 21:01:53

The Mount is an excellent school with lots of opportunities/extra curricular etc I'd highly recommend it there. It has a lovely feel to it. St Peters is also very highly rated.

hotdog74 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:50:00

Thank you Lola for the feedback. Sounds like the Mount may be a good option despite it's small size. Would love to hear the views of any one else who has any knowledge of these school. Thank you.

hotdog74 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:51:47

Hopeful bump for the rest of the weekend in the hope of a few more people with knowledge of York schools. Thank you!

stubiff Mon 13-Feb-17 17:02:19

hotdog, we do not have a child at those schools but have registered our DS at Bootham for Y7 entry in a couple of years.
We have visited Bootham, St Olaves (Peters) and Cundall Manor.
Each school is different in it's own way, so it really depends on what would suit your child.
We felt that Bootham was more relaxed, more of a 'family', which would suit our DS.
If you have any specific questions then please shout.

Cinderford Mon 13-Feb-17 22:39:37

Just don't look at The School We Dare Not Name wink

Rosieposy4 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:29:05

Cindeford 😄😂

Rosieposy4 Tue 14-Feb-17 20:33:27

Have often been debating at the Mount and the girls are delightful, and the atmosphere very lovely. No idea about the financial aspects though.
Lots of friends with dc at St peters and they allare very happy with it and dc polite and settled. Also has a great feel when you go for sports fixtures against them.
Only know three families who have had kids at Bootham, all have jad bullying problems there, so much so that two of them removed their dc from Bootham who were largely ineffective in dealing with the bullying

hotdog74 Thu 16-Feb-17 13:49:08

Thank you so much for the feedback on these schools. It is encouraging that no one has so far said anything negative about The Mount as that would be such an easier commute than any if the others!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now