Talk

Advanced search

Dd1 has to do a project on India....help please

(12 Posts)
NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 13:28:02

Ok, the sheet says that the focus of the project can be about any aspect they like, for example, the capital city, the landscape, the culture, food or everyday life.

Which is best to pick ?? She has to split it up into different subject heading so whatever she picks needs to have enough info to be broken down into sub sections.

If she does culture, what does that actually include ??? Can you include food and dress in that ??

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 14:15:50

bump

sunnywong Tue 27-Feb-07 14:16:55

do food
endless resources on teh interweb

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 14:21:09

Oh really, ok will have a hunt for info on food and see what I can find.

Coolmama Tue 27-Feb-07 14:24:07

what about different Indian festivals - can be sub-divided into religious or cultural festivals and celebrations and then go on to the different clothes and food requirements or restricitons, also difference between north and southern India, maybe ( architecture etc)

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 14:25:30

Ooooh good one coolmama

Cashncarry Tue 27-Feb-07 14:25:50

Blimey - food's a bit boring. Nothing they couldn't find out from a batch of local takeaway menus! No offence SunnyWong

I was a bit of a saddo at school projects. If everyone's got the same subject, it's nice to pick a different aspect so that you get extra points for originality. What about animals (or plants) that specifically originate in the Indian sub-continent?

How old is your DD1? Does she have any special interests? Can they pick people e.g. Ghandi, Mother Theresa etc.?

BTW - can you tell I'm off Indian heritage

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 14:28:52

Dd is 9

There are lots of festivals aren't there, if she does that she'll have to just pick a few I think.

She wanted to do indian dress but we weren't sure how far she could run on that. I suppose if she did festivals she could do dress as part of that ??

Any idea where I could get hold of a peice of sari fabric or similar ?? Only want a little square for her to put in the project.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 14:29:30

I think they can pick whatever they like cashandcarry, so long as it is about India obviously.

Coolmama Tue 27-Feb-07 14:32:53

what about all the traditions etc in an Indian wedding - lots and lots to go on there.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 14:34:46

Oh yep thats another good one.

Will tell her about all of the options when she gets home and see what she wants to do.

It doesn't have to be in until April 20th but I want her to make a start on it this weekend.

Cashncarry Tue 27-Feb-07 14:39:00

Indian dress sounds good - you could do men and women and then break it down by age and maybe religion and/or region.

Sari fabric - depends where you live. If you've got an asian area near you - Leicester, Luton, loads in London (Southall, Brick Lane being just a couple) or you might be able to get swatches over the internet. Places like Tie Rack and Accessorise often have gorgeous indian type chiffon scarfs which might do just as well...

There should be a lot in the way of internet resources - for example

However, if you live near a sari shop or something, you might prefer DD to get some first-hand accounts...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: