Talk

Advanced search

Term time holiday with school children in different counties

(7 Posts)
musicathome76 Tue 31-Jan-17 11:40:48

We live on the border of two large counties. Since last year I have one child in secondary school and two kids in the same primary school. The problem comes that this year the two counties have chosen different and non-overlapping half-term holidays in Feb as well as in April (only one week overlapping in April).
Also we both work and will struggle to cover so much holiday between us. Are there any legal laws or rules in this situation as to allow us to take kids out of school so that we can all have a holiday?

Rosieposy4 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:10:58

Going on holiday will not ease your ability to cover the other school holiday weeks 🙄
Do you really need a feb half term and an easter holiday?

Sirzy Tue 31-Jan-17 21:14:23

Can you not go on holiday during the overlapping week or the summer holiday?

How old is the secondary age child? Can they not look after themselves while you are working?

Snap8TheCat Tue 31-Jan-17 21:15:17

Go in August.

Merlin40 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:19:54

Go in the school holidays. The overlap week in April?

Don't think there is any loophole which would allow this.

Tigresswoods Tue 31-Jan-17 22:26:26

Bloody mismatching Feb & Easter half term breaks are ruining my life this year.

I've checked both county websites and they should be aligned next academic year.

prh47bridge Tue 31-Jan-17 23:10:40

Are there any legal laws or rules in this situation as to allow us to take kids out of school so that we can all have a holiday

No. You can ask the schools if they will authorise the holiday. It is up to the heads. If they refuse you risk being fined if you go ahead. That does not necessarily mean you will be fined - some counties issue more fines than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now