Talk

Advanced search

NOTTING HILL AND EALING, WEST LONDON PRIVATE SCHOOL

(8 Posts)
ealinglife Sun 29-Jan-17 23:42:12

I am looking for senor schools for my DD.

Any views on West London schools - particularly NHEHS??

I have heard positive things about Latymer Upper and LEH, but not much for NHEHS.

We are in Ealing so NHEHS would be ideal, logistically...but would like to invite views?

It is academically sound yet I do not sense as much enthusiasm for it as others.

Views appreciated!

QGMum Mon 30-Jan-17 17:51:51

Have you visited NHEHS and other West London schools yet?

The best way to get a feel for each school, and how suitable it is for your dd, is to visit. You could then ask specific questions which may get more of a response than your very general question.

Most London day schools are very good for a dc who is a good fit.

ealinglife Mon 30-Jan-17 18:29:27

QGMum

Thanks for the response; I did visit NHEHS, LEH and Latymer.

I asked some questions of each school, when I visited.
Yet I came away feeling that each school (understandably) did expound benefits and virtues of itself
Eg. all required bright, motivated children; all expressed sports/activities which would more than suffice for my child

However, I felt that the statements made were not useful, to aid comparison/differentiation...I thought other people/parents/carers might be the best input on this.
Eg.
what is good/bad about each
(perhaps most important) assuming a child is bright enough to deal with the academics, what type of child would/would not thrive in each

Threeschools Tue 31-Jan-17 08:30:11

I am starting to look at girls/co-ed schools in West London too. I haven't visited NH or LEH but visited Latymer and Hampton (next door to LEH) for DS 3 years ago. I found Latymer crowded and not particularly welcoming but DH really liked it, and all the parents I know (n=5) are very happy with the school. I think NH and LEH are both academically strong. LEH is miles away in a non inspiring suburb, whereas NH is local and leafy. I only know one mum with 2 girls at NH and she seems very happy with the school. Godolphin and Latymer is closer and seems like an excellent option. St Augustine's Priory has jumped 100 places in the independent league table this year and is going stronger, a good option too, although the 6th form is really small and girls tend to go somewhere else at that stage. The gov league table is not reliable for SAP as it does a mixture of iGCSES and GCSES. Depending how old your DD is, St Benedict's might have turned a corner by then as apparently the new Headmaster is changing things around significantly I am told. My DD is only in year 4 so I am not sure yet how academic she will be so I am keeping an open mind. My understanding of pushy girls schools is that they can be hard for some girls to deal with. I have another DD who started in a co-ed secondary this year and finds it less stressful than her all girls primary school, in her own words: "instead of talking about the other girls in their backs, we talk about the boys!" with a big grin on her face.

QGMum Tue 31-Jan-17 15:46:50

My dd is at NHEHS and I've found it to be a great school which promotes a strong work ethic in the girls and encourages them to be independent learners.

A new Head has just joined but it's not clear yet what changes, if any, he will make.

Only negative I have is that forms have 30 girls which I think is quite large for a private school. Some teachers don't seem to know my dd that well, or indeed, at all. If your dd needs nurturing then I would avoid. A motivated, self starter will do well there.

LondonMum8 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:43:39

@QGMum: Slightly OT, but any colour on the Junior school would be much appreciated.

QGMum Tue 31-Jan-17 20:47:20

@LondonMum8: sorry I don't know the junior school

LondonMum8 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:57:28

@QGMum: One proxy would be the performance of the girls coming in from the Junior school vs the external intake. Any observations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now