Talk

Advanced search

Outstanding state secondary or private secondary?

(8 Posts)
BluieLouie Sun 29-Jan-17 20:16:45

Money isn't an issue.

Both schools are great. Of course the private one offers 1000s of better experiences, etc. but no one in the village goes there. He is quite shy (which one would be better for a shy child? It's hard to tell) but has massive ability in art (not sure if that's something state could nurture?)

Thoughts would be lovely smile

beautifulgirls Sun 29-Jan-17 20:46:55

Choose the school the best fits his needs and put the money issue aside completely. Imagine if both were state schools rather than once being fee paying. We have had the same choice to make and have based it up on the right fit for her and her strengths and weaknesses.

dinkystinky Mon 30-Jan-17 10:03:41

Go look at the schools with your DS, speak to the art teachers and look at the pastoral care side if he's shy - between you, you will get a feel for where works best for him.

meditrina Mon 30-Jan-17 10:11:14

Secondary offers day is 1 March - how confident are you about which state school you'd get?

It's easier to compare when all offers are in, or do you have to decide on the private offer before offers day?

Autumnsky Mon 30-Jan-17 10:31:46

Well, I normaly go for outstanding state, but if money is not an issue, and the private school is good, then I would say private school. As generally, private school does offer more afterschool activities, and is better in Arts. And private school has a smaller class, so a shy child may have better attention to be encouraged.

Chapultepec564 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:05:33

Visit the schools.

Look at the other students. IME the greatest influence on DC at a school is their peer group. In an area with an outstanding state secondary which students go to the private school? Are they all shy? Are they all students whose parents believe they would not achieve in an outstanding state school?

If your DS has an outstanding talent for art and that is the most important thing for you, look specifically at the art provision in each school. Do they both offer GCSE? What are the teachers like etc? What are the results like? Do you have to depend on the school for art tuition or can you arrange out of school art tuition for your child?

We have had DC in both state and private over the years and tbh I think you have to be barking mad to pay for private schools if you have an outstanding state option available.

catslife Mon 30-Jan-17 13:26:01

My advice would be to choose the one that you think would be the best fit for your child all other things being equal. Would I be right to assume that both schools are co-ed?
Of course the private one offers 1000s of better experiences, etc Not necessarily, I wouldn't believe everything in their glossy prospectus/website, you really need to visit and find out.
no one in the village goes there. lots of dcs end up going to different secondary schools from their friends - but would this be a problem for you / for your ds?
As generally, private school does offer more afterschool activities, and is better in Arts. Not necessarily true - very dependent on the individual schools, there may be hidden extra charges for after school activities in a fee paying school. My dds comp has a very good reputation for Art, music and creative subjects.
I would also check the following: would x school cater for a creative boy (how many boys take Art GCSE at each school)? Would my ds have a free choice of GCSEs or would the school insist on only academic subjects?

LondonMum8 Mon 30-Jan-17 14:13:53

Great point regarding the influence of the peer group. I guess it's not very nice to find out DC picked up ghetto speak in a local outstanding primary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now