Talk

Advanced search

Secondary schools in Dorset/Somerset, private or state?

(5 Posts)
Driffield Sun 29-Jan-17 16:18:48

We are planning on relocating to Dorset, near the Somerset border in a year or so. We have two daughters who will be year 5 and year 8. Can anyone give us any school recommdations? We've heard that the Gryphon is good state secondary or Gillingham. We are also happy to look at private schools. Sherborne girls looks amazing but is fully boarding and I think we'd prefer a day school. Thanks in advance.

diten Mon 30-Jan-17 18:43:15

Also made this move and don't regret it - my DCs are younger, but I've also heard those schools are good. I know someone at Sherborne and you don't have to board there.

salsamummy Thu 02-Feb-17 22:26:21

Leweston is a good day/boarding school near Sherborne.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:50:48

I would be a little wary of Leweston's finances. There have been a couple of fee drops and much marketing of financial assistance in the time we have been here, which suggests they are rather in need of bums on seats.

I think Sherborne Girls would work fine as a day school. However, there are families who opt for the Bruton schools because they want actual day schools.

Sherborne Prep is really lovely.

EFc1234 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:23:17

Glad found this thread as We’ve been looking at schools in the South West too, for when we leave London in the next few years. Have you looked at Perrott Hill? Right on the Somerset/Dorset border. I might be biased as my friend works there, but we really loved it – felt smaller and more family oriented than the others. They have a Facebook page to that you can check out. Day and boarding options available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now