Talk

Advanced search

summer hill democratic school

(8 Posts)
summerleeforest Wed 25-Jan-17 21:11:39

Just researching it at the mo, how long are the lessons when children actually go? Does it cater for children with disabilities e.g. wheelchair users? Do they have vegetarian options for the menu and most importantly do children ever leave school never having attended lessons?

user1484226561 Thu 26-Jan-17 21:10:01

your main questions and concerns should be about the actual quality of the education on offer, in the past this has always been the biggest issue with Summer Hill. Should you choose to attend a lesson, will you actually recieve a high standard of teaching? or even an adequate one?

AnotherNewt Thu 26-Jan-17 21:18:19

Have you visited?

Because that's probably the best way for a prospective parent to ask about their DC's individual needs and how they would be managed during their time at the school.

mouldycheesefan Fri 27-Jan-17 12:03:42

Hi I know one person who went. He didn't attend any lessons and left school illiterate, could just about read to the level of a young primary child age 18. However, others may have chosen to attend the lessons and had different outcomes. One of the issues is that great teachers don't necessarily want to teach somewhere where nobody turns up or they go one day then don't bother again for six months.
Have you watched thr tv documentary? It's old now but i don't think the ethos has changed much. What's in the menu is least of the worries!

mouldycheesefan Fri 27-Jan-17 12:16:34

Just had a look on website it describes it as being like neverland
but lord of the flies may also be apt.

SaltyMyDear Fri 27-Jan-17 17:46:55

It's totally possible leaving school without never having attended a lesson.

I think 'lesson time' is 9 - 12 and 4 - 6 or something like that.

There is an upstairs, but I think was the bedrooms for kids of a certain age?

Email them to attend an open day. They have one every term I think.

summerleeforest Fri 27-Jan-17 19:49:07

just to clarify researching private schools and their ability to cater for children with different needs hence the menu and disability questions

meditrina Fri 27-Jan-17 19:50:08

Researching for whom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now