Talk

Advanced search

Finding a Nursing Apprenticeship For DD

(21 Posts)
Littlebatcalledlucille Thu 12-Jan-17 12:47:04

Hello, Looking for some help
As the Title says........
Hello! any nurses out there?
My D really wants a career in nursing, however she has no Idea how to go about it?

We have checked the GOV website No joy.
There are no courses anywhere, she'd be happy with any course along that field.
Does anyone know what she should do?

Thank you.

hellsbells99 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:48:21

I think you need to do a degree now at university.

hellsbells99 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:49:33

www.nursingtimes.net/news/education/nurse-apprenticeships-to-begin-in-september-2017/7013196.article
It looks like they are bringing in this

hellsbells99 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:54:04

www.derby.ac.uk/health-and-social-care/courses/health-care-practice/nursing-degree-apprenticeship/

Littlebatcalledlucille Thu 12-Jan-17 12:59:41

Thank you for replying Hellsbells,

Small problem is She needs a course In london and there aren't any sad

Sidge Thu 12-Jan-17 13:10:31

Greenwich University might be offering the apprenticeship degree but I wouldn't hold your breath - it might be starting 2017 and isn't showing on the University pages on their website.

If she's really set on a career in nursing then the best thing would be to go to uni and do a nursing degree. Apprenticeship degrees haven't been finalised yet and I do wonder how well received they'll be by employers.

Can she apply to any of the London universities to do nursing? Why does it have to be an apprenticeship?

In the meantime encourage her to get some healthcare related experience, maybe in a care home, a pharmacy, a hospice, a local hospital.

user1484226561 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:15:54

nursing is a graduate entry profession at the moment, so she would need to go to university and do a degree.

It is EXTREMELY competitive to get into, including English and maths exams, and an interview.

If and when the apprenticeships start, they are likely to be even more competitive to get into

Strong academic achievements are big advantage, obviously, but it is about far more than that, voluntary work experience and personal qualities, etc are also important.

What qualifications and experience does she have?

stinky Thu 12-Jan-17 13:29:52

Buck new uni in high Wycombe do a lot of nursing qualifications, 32 miles from London, easy on public transport or stay on campus. Here are a selection, contact them for more information
www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/csearch?subject=nursing&university=buckinghamshire-new-university

titchy Thu 12-Jan-17 15:48:31

Several universities in London do nursing degrees. Greenwich, university of west London, KCL etc.

She'll need good A levels / BTEC or an Access Course. Once nursing degrees have been apprenticised these qualifications will still be needed.

Ouchiebum Thu 12-Jan-17 15:53:43

She could also look at doing a clinical support worker apprenticeship. There's a lot of work smoothing the pathway from csw to nurse and in a year or two all the training places for nursing will be a lot clearer. It would also look great on her application if she decided to do a degree.

To be honest I wouldn't go and do the degree that you have to fund as in a year or two there will be lots more options to do it as an apprenticeship which won't incur her any costs.

I've got colleagues who work in this field (I'm at one of the largest teaching hospitals). If you pm me I'll give you some contact names she could ring to talk through options.

LIZS Thu 12-Jan-17 15:56:19

How old is she? Could she do an Access to Nursing course initially as they are more readily available.

Littlebatcalledlucille Fri 13-Jan-17 19:10:07

Thank you for the replies,Sorry for the late reply, I'll catch up

Littlebatcalledlucille Fri 13-Jan-17 19:14:23

User, she is predicted all B's and has a little experience with the elderly with a relative

Littlebatcalledlucille Fri 13-Jan-17 19:14:52

Im having her read this thread now smile

Littlebatcalledlucille Fri 13-Jan-17 19:16:12

Ouchiebum and LIZ Thank you!! she's going to look into them

PettsWoodParadise Sat 14-Jan-17 19:55:23

I have two friends whose DDs have done a nursing or midwifery course. Both gave up. If your DD can get some work experience or talk to people who do this as a job it may help them avoid the pitfalls my friends' DDs experienced. In the end the deal breaker for them was the hours. They saw their friends working Monday to Friday and they weren't even whilst studying. City Uni do a fab midwifery degree course says one friend who had a recent career change and as others have said the main route is now a degree.

scaredofthecity Sat 14-Jan-17 19:59:35

Yeh I'd hold on, my trust is going to be one of the first to do nursing apprenticeships, it won't be long!
She should try and work as an hca first, I doubt she'd get on an apprenticeship without some experience and it will also help her decide if she's sure it's what she wants to do

Whynotnowbaby Sat 14-Jan-17 20:01:48

The experience any course will be looking for will need to be more formal than having helped out with an elderly relative. Voluntary or paid work in a hospice or care home or with children with special needs, shadowing in a hospital or similar over an extended period will be what they are looking for so first off get her to ensure her cv looks good.

LizzieSiai Sat 14-Jan-17 22:05:41

I'm a mental health nurse and I'd advise your DC to get some work experience as a health care worker/support worker...even if it's a couple of hours a week. In order for her to get on the BSc course, she'll need work experience. Also, if she has more experience, she'll be less likely to drop out. Nursing training is very tough but with her predicted grades, I'm sure she'll be okay.

dotdash Sat 14-Jan-17 22:39:21

My friend's daughter is doing a nursing degree at King's College.
She has enjoyed every minute!

Littlebatcalledlucille Tue 17-Jan-17 17:07:45

Wow, I never expected to get so many replies! (thank you!)

All of you have given some great advice, and She's taken it all on board! She's not so frustrated now

Thank you All again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now