Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS wants to make a model of a Treasure Island for WBD but I am short on inspiration. Would be grateful for any ideas.

(5 Posts)
Bozza Wed 21-Feb-07 12:23:52

DS (6 yesterday) has decided that the ladybird version of Treasure Island is his favourite book and that he wants to make a model of a treasure island for World Book Day, a week tomorrow. Now I am busy sorting out decorations, cakes etc for his football party on Sunday but really need to give this some consideration.

How would you go about it? I was going to get hold of a board and paint it blue. Then how would I construct an island? I want to make it slightly more realistic than just painting a couple of boxes green and sticking them on? It's the shape I am struggling with.

TIA.

KathyMCMLXXII Wed 21-Feb-07 12:28:02

I suppose a spot of papier mache would make a good shape (scrunched up newspaper balls covered with smoother bits).

Is the fort in the Ladybird version? If so you could use corrugated cardboard for that.

scotlou Wed 21-Feb-07 12:30:06

Could you scrunch up some newspaper into balls and pile them up into a hill shape, then cover this with another piece of paper - painted green - to make a hill? Trees could probably be made out of drinking straws with a few bits of green paper stuck on. Get a piece of sandpaper for a beach.

MrsBadger Wed 21-Feb-07 12:32:08

or green or brown fabric draped over the newspaper balls and glued down at the edges can make a good hilly island.

Bozza Wed 21-Feb-07 12:32:46

Hmm I think the fort is in the ladybird book. I need to get started on this now, don't I? Well at least when I get home from work tonight.... I have never done papier mache. Is that the best way?

Love the idea of sandpaper for a beach. Fantastic. I had been half wondering about glueing sand on, but no need for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now