Talk

Advanced search

Bedford mums - what are the state schools like?

(3 Posts)
Number52 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:25:44

Bedford mums - After much research we've decided that Bedford is where we'd like to be. Great parks, a beautiful river, commutable to London, gorgeous Victorian houses and a busy town centre - what's not to love. BUT we are nervous about taking the plunge as all the local schools are private and the state secondaries seem to be a bit poor. Is this fair? Please tell me I've got this wrong. Does anyone have any positive experiences of the local secondaries? Our boys are still toddlers, but I don't intend to move again so I'm planning for the future!

Motleyii Sun 08-Jan-17 21:17:29

For sure, it's a great place to live and bring up kids. The Harpur Trust schools are fantastic if you can afford them and its probably reasonable to say that their "creaming off" effect suppresses the results of the Bedford state schools unfairly.

Greenfingeredfun Sun 08-Jan-17 21:20:28

I went to one of the girls schools -loved it. Due to my work, I visit a lot of the state schools in Bedford and my favourite schools are Shortstown Primary and Hazeldene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now