Talk

Advanced search

Poor PISA ratings USA

(6 Posts)
orangeblosssom Sat 31-Dec-16 10:31:53

I am concerned with the poor PISA rating in America especially in maths.
We are planning a move to New Jersey for 2 years. My children will be in Year 4 and year 2 respectively and I'm worried they will be behind when they return to London. I wish to try for selective secondary schools once we return.
Can anyone help alleviate my worries and help with finding good tutors in New Jersey?

Beebeeeight Sat 31-Dec-16 10:39:09

Huge country- not all schools will have low academic performance!

Have you considered private?

Otherwise make sure you are in the right catchment for the top schools.

A problem I've heard is that the years/ages are different so kids coming from US system often have to be the oldest in their year here in return as they teach things at later stages.

TalkinPeace Sat 31-Dec-16 12:53:29

talk to want2besupermum she lives in New Jersey

octoberfarm Sat 31-Dec-16 12:58:43

Where in NJ are you moving? On the off chance it's the Princeton area, they have exceptionally good state schools!

kesstrel Sat 31-Dec-16 15:47:20

Each state in the U.S. runs its own education system, a bit like the differences between England, Scotland and Wales here. And within that, individual local school districts can differ greatly as well. It's nothing like as centralised as it is in England.

BizzyFizzy Sat 31-Dec-16 17:00:15

My kids did well in the US in maths. We came back when they went into Year 7 and Y5.

Make sure they go into Honours rather than College Prep in middle school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now