We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

would you pay for mandarin tuition?

(23 Posts)
buddhasbelly Sat 24-Dec-16 13:03:23

Just as the title says really.

I hold an MA in mandarin Chinese and have taught English as a foreign language. I'm looking at going in to tutoring as I enjoyed teaching and currently there are no providers in my area (have researched this).

Any thoughts welcome, thanks smile

Haggisfish Sat 24-Dec-16 13:05:21

My dh does! And a couple of kids at my school do. Definitely a market for it.

buddhasbelly Sat 24-Dec-16 13:05:57

And i realise it's Christmas eve and this topic is probably the furthest thing from anyone's mind but thank you anyway for any responses!

buddhasbelly Sat 24-Dec-16 13:08:05

Thanks haggis. I've worked in various parts of china and studied there too.

I've tutored English on a one to one basis in china but now back in the UK so looking at tutoring smile

buddhasbelly Sat 24-Dec-16 13:10:25

It would be seconds to my p/t work (in school hours so not reducing my availability) so feel I would still have enough time to develop tutoring sessions.

Does your dh enjoy it haggis?

lljkk Sat 24-Dec-16 13:25:35

What is your area like?
Mine is 98% white British & nobody would see the use of Mandarin here.

Flisspaps Sat 24-Dec-16 13:27:19

Nope.

lljkk Sat 24-Dec-16 13:31:05

@buddhasbelly: can I shamelessly ask you for reply to a thread I just started?

EssentialHummus Sat 24-Dec-16 13:39:53

You may find more of a market teaching mandarin speakers here to improve their fluency (or teach both!).

buddhasbelly Sat 24-Dec-16 14:18:52

Thanks all.

It wouldn't be my main source of income, just a secondary income. The area that I am in is quite affluent with a higher than average percentage of school leavers going on to university.

It may be a case of marketing the tutoring out and seeing if there is any interest.

Thanks again for the replies.

lijkk I've replied to your thread smile

Haggisfish Sat 24-Dec-16 15:25:29

Yes dh loves it and all things Chinese. He visits china once a year. I'd be interested in dc learning it. Dh is working towards the GCSE in it. You're not in the West Midlands are you?!

PatriciaHolm Sat 24-Dec-16 16:10:29

I have done! When the kids were younger - they enjoyed it, but the tutor moved away.

Changeandchangeagain Sat 24-Dec-16 17:06:37

Are you in London by any chance?

SeaweedSa1ad Sat 24-Dec-16 17:17:49

Where are you Buddha? I'd be really interested in a tutor for my kids... Have you taught kids before?

buddhasbelly Sat 24-Dec-16 19:30:58

Thanks for all the replies smile

I'm in Scotland so a bit far away from a few of you sad

I'm not wanting to charge the earth or anything for lessons, more my passion for the language and building up cv skills as my evidence for tutoring is of English and not Chinese.

I've taught children before and also adults

Vietnammark Sun 25-Dec-16 15:50:14

There is a lot of demand for Mandarin tuition. I live in a city in England that is not known for having an asian community and the foreign language that I hear spoken most is Mandarin.

Where I live it is very difficult to find a Mandarin teacher who isn't fully booked up,

Prettybaffled Sun 25-Dec-16 21:42:26

A dc in my family gets tutored in it - living in a very least area. I would think a little kids club/group class might be a good kick starter.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 28-Dec-16 08:15:47

Yes I would pay. DD's state school (SE London) do optional Mandarin (and Japanese or Dance) from Y8 as a twighlight class, paid for by parents (£200 per term) as a lunchtime and after school course, they take the GCSE in it in Y10. I am not 100% certain but I don't think the person who teaches it is on the main school teaching roll. They have other non mainstream subjects taught this way and so think it is a great idea for schools who couldn't otherwise afford to offer the course but appreciate there may be families who can't afford it.

hertsandessex Wed 28-Dec-16 13:51:36

Yes I have paid and know of others who have paid as well. There is a small but significant market and while ideally people think of native speakers I know of non-native Mandarin and Japanese teachers making a good living.

MollyHuaCha Fri 06-Jan-17 20:00:12

Hi Haggisfish, I just wondered where in the West Midlands adults can take gcse Mandarin? Thanks!

Haggisfish Sun 08-Jan-17 14:43:08

Hello dh is doing it in cheltenham and I know of a tutor in bromsgrove. You could enter as a private candidate at any secondary school or college I think.

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 08-Jan-17 16:51:01

Mandarin is becoming more common as an MFL in secondary schools and is taught as an extra-curricular in my son's school. I am sure there would be a market for it especially in a predominantly "white area" where there aren't family members to supplement/teach it.

SeaweedSa1ad Fri 28-Apr-17 16:57:35

Hello, resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone can recommend a Mandarin tutor in Reading, Berkshire please?

How's the tuition going Buddha?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now