Talk

Advanced search

Flipping 'book sharing' afternoon!

(11 Posts)
Northernlurker Tue 06-Dec-16 16:50:46

Dd3's school does a book sharing afternoon about once a term. Parents can come 1/2 hour early and look at the kids work with them. Obviously this is something of a pita for working parents but as I work five mins from school and can be flexible I had said I would go today and told dd.
I am a NHS manager, it's very busy and quite pressured. Not that that is an excuse for today when I simply forgot to go. Remembered as I was cycling yo school at the usual time. Dd was terribly sweet about it and we went straight back in where her teacher (who could see I was upset) let us look at her books then. Dd has been ever so sweet about it but I know she will have been looking for me. I am furious with myself but also actually I feel increasingly annoyed with school for putting up yet another fence for us working parents to fall arse over head over.

Do lots of schools do this? Us it well attended? Dd said only two parents cMe to her class.

Trifleorbust Tue 06-Dec-16 17:16:47

I don't get why you are annoyed.

Northernlurker Tue 06-Dec-16 17:26:24

I'm more furious with myself for forgetting but I do really wonder what value it has for the kids. Most parents can't go. Last time I went there were only a couple there too. It just gives me something to beat myself up about and that makes me cross because I don't believe working parents should feel guilty but now I do and it's my fault. If school had never proposed the thing then I wouldn't have anything to feel crap over iyswim. Just wondering if it's a common thing.

Trifleorbust Tue 06-Dec-16 17:29:53

Hmm. I don't know, but I don't think you can blame schools for giving parents the chance to come in if they want to. Unless they put pressure on you to turn up, that is.

PatriciaHolm Tue 06-Dec-16 17:33:15

We do it, class open time from 3.30-5 about once a term. I think about 75% of kids have a parent there judging by the number of books out. I think it's a nice thing to do, and by their very nature, most schools things will be in school time or just after. Yes its a pain for working parents, but that's no reason not to do something especially if it's well attended anyway.

Northernlurker Tue 06-Dec-16 17:43:39

They don't put pressure except the simple pressure of having the thing and it isn't well attended in ks2 certainly. I just feel crap about it.
We see their books at parents evenings and those are better hours, after school till 6 or 5 till 8. It would be better if it was actually after school as pp mentions because then parents who were picking up could attend without changing their work hours. Perhaps I should suggest it.

Trifleorbust Tue 06-Dec-16 17:54:36

Schools have a maximum number of hours they can ask staff to do after school (directed time). They may not be able to fit these further evenings in. I can see why you're frustrated but it really is your choice whether to go. Just stop worrying about it.

JohnHunter Fri 09-Dec-16 14:49:32

FFS schools really can't win can they?

MiaowTheCat Thu 29-Dec-16 20:42:18

DD1's school does these afternoons every term. I don't work so in that respect it's not a biggie for me to get out and go (although next year when I've got two of them in the school in different classes it's going to be fun) - and the turnout among parents is about 30% I'd put it at.

DD1 obligingly offered to share her mummy out among all the other kids whose parents couldn't get there last time (her teacher gleefully informed me) - little bugger!

Ladiesoftheeighties Sat 31-Dec-16 14:14:00

We have this at our school. Once per term - either at 3.30- 4.30 or by prior arrangement 8 - 8.30 the day after. I'm a working parent and the 2nd option is great for me . I love to see what work my dc have been doing and they love me to come and see it too. Twice a year in a 10 minute parents evening is not enough for anything - so I am very pleased, we look forward to it and I think all schools should offer this. Regardless of turnout.

nat73 Sun 01-Jan-17 20:54:01

I think you are being a bit harsh on the school here. They are giving you an opportunity. Whether or not you can use it is up to you? Our parents evenings are between 3pm and 5pm so your school sounds more friendly than hours. I am also a working parent. We have a weekly sharing assembly. I went to them for about 2 years but tbh it's become quite boring if you go every week. I'd welcome the chance to look at DDS work once a term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now