Advanced search

Access to Exams

(5 Posts)
summerholsdreamin Sun 27-Nov-16 12:59:00

I am currently studying a distance learning GCSE (via OOL) and am due to sit the exams next summer (having enrolled Feb this year).

Some years ago I severely broke my writing wrist resulting in it being pinned and plated. The long and short of it is that I cannot handwrite for more than a few minutes otherwise I am severe pain.

When I enrolled I made it quite clear that I need to be able to type rather than handwrite in exams & I was told that as long as I followed the standard procedure to apply for special measures I should be fine (to be clear I'm not looking for extra time, just need to be able to type.)

So, I am currently locating a venue to sit my exams as an external candidate. As part of this I raised the access issue with OOL, only to be told that the exam boards have suddenly and severely cracked down on access arraignments due to misuse. Apparently the only way now to get special consideration is to have proved to the exam board, over a long period that typing (in my case) is the only way I can work. OOL have advised this is nigh on impossible for external candidates to prove and have basically washed their hands o the issue.

Firstly, is this not discrmination against external candidates? hmm
Secondly does anyone have any experience of external candidate exams and access arrangements? Is there any other help out there?

If I am unable to type then the whole exercise has been an expensive waste of time angry I am furious with OOL basically couldn't give 2 shits.

catslife Sun 27-Nov-16 17:00:48

Forget OOL you need to go directly to the exam board for advice here.
Yes they have tightened up on access arrangements, but it sounds as if you have a genuine disability here and should be able to qualify for access arrangements on medical grounds. There is still time for the appropriate assessments to be done ready for the Summer exams.

summerholsdreamin Sun 27-Nov-16 17:28:33

Thank you so much Catslife - am on it now! Hopefully Edexcel will be more helpful than OOL.

FifiForgot Sun 27-Nov-16 18:51:19

You need on google "JCQ Access Arrangements" that will tell you all you need to know. There is no need for special arrangements for a word processor, your centre will just need to make sure that whatever laptop you use is not linked to the internet in any way, and that the spell/grammar check is turned off. You will also have to complete a form for the exam. Speak to the Exams Officer at your Center, they should be able to help you.

LIZS Sun 27-Nov-16 18:56:35

It has to be established as your normal mode of working . So if you use a laptop for essays and note taking your tutor should be able to confirm this. Then the exams officer can put the arrangements in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now