Talk

Advanced search

Reading to toddlers

(16 Posts)
DariaJask95 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:13:01

My LO is 6 months old now and I was wondering when would he be best time to start reading to her?

BikeRunSki Tue 08-Nov-16 20:13:36

Now!

BikeRunSki Tue 08-Nov-16 20:19:15

Sorry, posted too soon. Reading to babies gets them used to the sounds and rythms of language, it normalises reading, it creates a calm bonding time with the child. So many positives.

NowtSalamander Tue 08-Nov-16 20:29:22

At that age you can just hold them, hold a book or a newspaper and read them what you want to read. The important thing is your tone and the sound of words and being able to watch your face as you talk.

In a couple of months or when s/he seems interested you can start with the noun-only books (the ones with a picture and then a word) and s/he can interact with the idea of connecting word and picture. You can also start with some before bed picture books at that stage particularly if they rhyme- the sounds are like music and work well last thing at night as a soothing sound.

Never too young to be read to!

HorridHenrietta2 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:38:34

When my ds was a newborn I combined his naked kick about on a mat with story time. I'd prop the book up close to him and read the story while he kicked around, as the months went by I kept up this daily routine and he started to pay more attention to the actual book.
He's four now and loves books.
Start reading now in a way that is relaxed and pleasurable for you both and it will become a really enjoyable habit.

DariaJask95 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:42:30

I have a book with just pictures in it and I thought it would be a good idea to point out to the pictures and say the names of them. Is it a good idea?

JellyWitch Tue 08-Nov-16 20:44:45

I started reading proper kids stories to mine from the beginning. And poems. Certainly the likes of The Gruffalo by about 12 weeks. It's never too soon.

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 08-Nov-16 20:46:04

At 6 months a nice story is probably better. They listen to the rhythm and tone of your voice more than the words.

TeacherBob Tue 08-Nov-16 20:46:24

I read to my DD in the womb.

It is NEVER too soon.

HorridHenrietta2 Tue 08-Nov-16 20:48:48

I read stories that I actually liked at that age because if you're enjoying it the so will they. Pointing out objects and single words will come a bit later, I found this a bit boring though so have always leant more towards proper stories.

DariaJask95 Tue 08-Nov-16 21:08:13

Thank you, I'll get into reading stories from tomorrow smile

Hermano Tue 08-Nov-16 21:13:05

At about that age I introduced a bedtime book which I then read every night until DD was old enough to indicate she wanted another book too, since then we've done 2 every night.
I chose Goodnight Moon, I think it has a lovely word rhythm.
I loved how DD got to know the words and would point at the kitten when I said kitten, point at the red balloon etc. I could see her understand it a little more each week, it was wonderful.
I read other books in the day but kept this one for nighttime. She is just 3 now and sometimes.chooses it as one of her bedtime books now, happy memories.

GrubbyWindows Tue 08-Nov-16 21:20:44

Mine were both very interested in Eric carle books from about 4 months- v high contrast and interesting visual textures l, I think.
Yay for books for babies!

dylexicdementor11 Wed 09-Nov-16 05:20:00

I read all of the game of thrones books to DS when he was newborn. We have since progressed to more age appropriate books!

Start now!

Zumbumba Wed 09-Nov-16 05:58:49

There's an interesting piece of educational research that says the single factor that has the biggest impact on students' life outcomes (more than type of schooling, socio-economic background etc) is how much they read/were read to from 0-5 years.

DariaJask95 Wed 09-Nov-16 06:39:22

Thank you, I'll pick up a story for her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now