Talk

Advanced search

Sherborne, Radley, Oundle or Rugby

(13 Posts)
user1476983128 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:43:05

Trying to narrow this list down to a short list of three! Can you help, with anything positive or negative about these four schools? Particularly interested in:
- pastoral care
- tutor support (academic and personal)
- time for personal development
- parent-school and school-parent communication
- welcome to new boys (integration efforts)
- having a balanced, considerate man at the end of it all!
Thank you for any thoughts. I have a confident, creative, maths/science-leaning boy with boundless energy and who loves all sorts of sports. He is best at things that are not examined, such as negotiating, observing and then organising how the players in a team could better function together, and having too many ideas to want to spend time learning how to write them down in an organised way...
Thanks again. Hope to hear from you.

itssquidstella Thu 20-Oct-16 20:58:08

Don't know much about Sherbourne. The Radley boys I know are quite 'rah', for want of a better word. Rugby and Oundle, as mixed (Rugby only in sixth form I think?), seem to produce much more rounded pupils, at least in my experience. Of the four, I'd pick Rugby, based on my knowledge of the staff and pupils I've met from there.

user1476983128 Thu 20-Oct-16 21:33:46

Thank you itssquidstella. Yes, all comments about staff too would be great, as at the open days/meetings you only get to talk to one or two...

sendsummer Fri 21-Oct-16 06:50:47

user has he got a conditional offer at all schools? Oundle a would have the higher CE / academic standards post entry so your choice will depend on how important that is for you and him.
I have known or heard of from my DC's' circle happy and lovely boys at all these. I think for all four the extent of the pastoral care depends on the house but Rugby and Radley have the best present reports from my small sample.
From what you say about your DS I would not exclude Radley. It is very well organised as a full boarding school, has a high quality of staff generally and caters particularly well for boys like your DS especially if he enjoys the main team sports including rugby. CE entrants are still predominantly made up of a certain social set but they do produce well mannered boys.
For all four look at the sixth form results and subject choice since most DCs stay will stay on at sixth form and it will give you more of an idea of present teaching quality plus the flexibility of subject choice at this level

1805 Fri 21-Oct-16 17:19:06

Vote for Radley here. Not too "rah" - but admittedly there are some VERY rich families there. (not us!!)
Pastoral support has been excellent when required, and parents are very much welcomed into the school.
School has lots of talks and options open to the boys to expand their horizons.
No experience of how Radley compares to other boarding schools, but we're v happy there.

pepperpot69 Sun 23-Oct-16 21:21:05

Pastoral care at Oundle has been superb (so far). Very grounded kids from all backgrounds and abilities. Amazing facilities and opportunities with very caring staff. School set in a beautiful market town, easy access to London.

stealthsquiggle Tue 25-Oct-16 11:06:04

From your description I would say Oundle would be an excellent fit, from what I have seen so far.

"time for self development" might be more accurately described as "so many opportunities for self development that they end up completely shattered" but other than that...

Pastoral care probably depends a lot on the housemaster, but again what I have seen so far (and, it seems, the ethos coming from the head) has been excellent.

EarlGreyTeaAndToast Fri 28-Oct-16 12:25:59

Rugby. It's fully and properly coed (and has been for decades), the house system is excellent (students eat in house which is brilliant for pastoral care and community feel.)

The tutorial system is also well thought through and executed.

badabing36 Fri 28-Oct-16 12:32:43

Ha ha thought this was a baby name thread for a sec.

As you were.

user1476983128 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:09:14

Thank you stealthsquiggle and EarlGreyTeaAndToast. Good to hear that the new head of Oundle is setting the right line re. pastoral care, and to know the tutor system at Rugby works well - pretty essential for my DS I think as he sometimes needs some encouragement and follow-up!

Does anyone have experience of Sherborne? And the (relatively) new Head, Dr. Luckett?

SisterViktorine Fri 28-Oct-16 13:17:48

The new Head is really amazing. Clever, charismatic and a great leader. The school is really on the up, really strong senior team in place. Boys are happy, stretched and well looked after.

Ticks your 'balanced, considerate young man' box by the bucket load- the boys are a pleasure to be around.

Of all the places in your list I would also say Sherborne is the nicest place to grow up. Such a beautiful little town- just the right size for the boys to have a bit of safe independence.

user1476983128 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:42:00

Thank you Sisterviktorine! Great to have some insight into the new head at Sherborne as, having just arrived, think he'll be there throughout the time my DS would be there. My sister is a primary teacher, and she said of all the things to look for the first thing is to be sure of the Head. So glad that Dr Luckett is what I hoped he would be.

So glad there's somewhere that really meets the 'balanced, considerate young man' need. Don't we need more of those in Britain?

I heard also they are building new sports facilities?

pepperpot69 Fri 28-Oct-16 14:36:08

Oundle - brand new SciTec centre - state of the art for sciences, maths and DT, new Cricket Paviliion and just starting is new Sports Centre. Facilities are outstanding. People tend to think that Oundle is only for the 'super bright and academically high achievers', we were worried about this as DS is not super bright, just a good all rounder and he is loving all the 'extra's but gets loads of extra help too. All the children we know there (fully co-ed) are very grounded, pleasant and polite. Good luck with your search, you have a good selection there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now