We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stroud vs Sherborn House

(11 Posts)
alwaysnotenoughesleep Mon 17-Oct-16 14:16:00

I know there have been already a lot of talks about these two schools, but I still would like to ask some questions and hope mumsnetters would not mind.

Which of these two is really better in terms of academic level? I know Stroud is King Edward VI Preparatory school, but its students still need to take the entrants exam, and Sherborne House seems has higher percentage of students getting into King Edward VI at age 11. So what are the advantages for Stroud being the feeder school?

Also why does Stroud has much higher fees than the other one? Where are the extra fee being spent?

Ta1kinpeece Tue 18-Oct-16 14:58:37

Sherborne are part of a chain.
Stroud were stand alone.
They are very different schools socially
and as the roads round here can be horrific, it kind of depends where you live

alwaysnotenoughesleep Tue 18-Oct-16 16:30:25

Ta1kinpeece, thanks for sharing the information. Would you please tell a bit more about the two schools' social differences, do you mean the students' family background?

Stroud seems more formal, they have huge outdoor ground, but some classrooms are still in huts. Shernorne house classrooms are very nice, but seems lack of outdoor space. What does it mean "part of chain"?

We are not local to either schools and both requires roughly the same dirving distance.

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 18-Oct-16 23:14:11

STroud is more the traditional prep Sch. Some obviously go to KES and day schools but it goes to 13 and is used to preparing children for CE and the traditional boarding schools. Sherborne house is more of a private day school feeding primarily into the local private day schools as well as sending a few to the local state secondaries (namely thornden). Where about do you live, have you looked at the other local preps?

alwaysnotenoughesleep Wed 19-Oct-16 15:40:30

AtleastitsnotMonday, thanks. What you say mostly match what I have learnt. Yes, Stroud has year group 13. Looking at the school's 2015/2016 result, a few of the students did go to some bording schools, also a considerable number of the students went to HCS and other grammar or state schools.

Sherborne House, one thing surprise me is that they have about 48% of students went to KES in the same academic year, which is roughly the same as Stroud. But its fee is about a third less than Stroud. Here comes my question, what are the advantages/areas that Stroud has whereas Sherborne does not have, or Stroud is better at? Is it because some Stroud students go to some boarding schools? Any other reasons?

Ta1kinpeece Wed 19-Oct-16 21:01:01

Stroud is a much more "rural" school. It only recently linked to KES to it will be interesting to see how long the year 7 and 8 classes last.
Its finances were pretty shaky before the sale
Sherborne is Dubai owned and is much more geared to feeding into the Southampton day schools or indeed the comps

The nearest Grammars are in Salisbury and their results are not much better than Thornden or Kings
there is a lot of flow between private and state round here

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 19-Oct-16 22:56:10

I'm afraid I can't give much more detail, the reason for Stroud feeding a lot to hcs is likely to be highly influenced by location.HCS is much easier to get into than KES. The link with Stroud being KES prep is relatively new (3 years maybe) many children at Stroud will have been there long before the link and I guess parents may have already had plans for future schools in place. Also you need to remember Stroud have the opportunity to send to KES at both 11 and 13 so you really need to add those numbers together. If you haven't already I would advise you visit both schools and get your child taster days at both. You are likely to get a better feel for the schools that way. Is KES definitely your aim for senior? Can you give a rough indication of where you are because there are a few others to consider.

alwaysnotenoughesleep Thu 20-Oct-16 12:04:41

Ta1kinpeece, thanks. I was not aware of such information.

alwaysnotenoughesleep Thu 20-Oct-16 12:15:49

AtleastitsnotMonday, thank you.

If we ask for a taster day for DC in either schools, does it need to be after registration?

We have learnt that KES is among the best day independent school in Hampshire. That is why it has been mentioned. We are not looking for any boarding options.

Reagrding location, that won't be a big issue as we are willing to move house if necessary.

AtleastitsnotMonday Thu 20-Oct-16 13:17:07

I'm afraid I'm not sure phone them, they will talk you through the process.

alwaysnotenoughesleep Fri 21-Oct-16 11:58:19

AtleastitsnotMonday, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now