How far do your DC commute to school?

(20 Posts)
GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 17-Oct-16 08:05:00

Both in terms of distance and time. Is it awful if they end up at a good school but far away?

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 17-Oct-16 08:05:23

Oh sorry, forgot to say this is for secondary.

sighsloudly Mon 17-Oct-16 08:07:24

My ds travel thirty miles to primary and when they go to secondary it will be 15. At the moment driving to and fro takes up two hours of my day. It's no to bad as the school do after school club everyday.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 17-Oct-16 08:16:33

DDs is a bit over 20 miles. The bus takes about an hour. She didn't mind it at all for the first few years as it was her 'social club' but found it a bit tedious by gcse - better now she's got lots of good podcasts to listen to esp if she's on a public bus rather than school bus.

She loves her school and definitely wouldn't trade for any of the nearer ones.

Stillwishihadabs Mon 17-Oct-16 08:37:33

Ds travels 25 miles to a superselctive grammar school. It is 25 minutes by train (+15 minster drive to station and 20 minute walk at the other end). So just over an hour, a whole group of them do it, it's fine.

LIZS Mon 17-Oct-16 08:40:05

5m 15-20 mins by road.

Badbadbunny Mon 17-Oct-16 09:32:02

My son's school is only 5 miles away but the public transport is so bad, he has to leave home at 7.20, a mile walk to the bus stop, then the bus, then a mile walk at the other end between the bus station and school. He usually gets to school around 8.20, but can't leave any later as the next bus would be cutting it too fine due to horrendous traffic congestion some days. So, basically, 90 minutes to allow for congestion. Coming home not too bad as there are more frequent buses, but still takes an hour.

Badbadbunny Mon 17-Oct-16 09:33:04

Forgot to say, loads of them do the same journey so at least he has friends on the bus and the mile long walk at the other end.

dancemom Mon 17-Oct-16 09:35:11

After the summer she will take either a 5 minute train or a 10 minute bus to the city centre then take the underground for 8 minutes ending with a 10 minute walk.

Worth it for a great school

redskytonight Mon 17-Oct-16 11:37:12

I did a long commute as a child. It was "fine" but I'd still rather not have done it!
My DC go/will go to the secondary school in walking distance.
The two statements are not unrelated

Thatwaslulu Mon 17-Oct-16 11:40:28

Wow there's some long commutes here. My son commutes about 2.5m (two buses though) and takes about 40 minutes with the bus layover. He has started to walk to school in nice weather rather than get a bus.

Mominatrix Mon 17-Oct-16 12:20:47

DS1 is 2 miles away and DS2 is 1.25 miles away. It is a godsend to be walking distance away.

Butkin1 Mon 17-Oct-16 14:48:08

DD's school is 42 miles and 53 mins according to AA. In reality it's about 70 mins on school bus each morning (with pick ups) or about 45 mins in the car. Would probably not want her going much further afield as a day girl.

LoadingDishwasher Mon 17-Oct-16 15:43:35

DS1 goes to the local grammar school - 12 miles, 50 mins by bus 7.45am-16.30pm total time door to door - local high school just around the corner from the grammar, but buses are 8.10am-16.00pm door to door - depends on the bus route!

BestIsWest Mon 17-Oct-16 17:17:55

150 metres to sixth form college. Secondary school was half a mile, primary was 50 metres.

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 17-Oct-16 18:22:12

There are some long commutes indeed! I'm wondering whether I'm crazy for considering a house move which would mean 9 mile commutes for the DC. Google maps reckons that the two potential schools are half an hour away by car; I am heavily sceptical!!

Blu Wed 19-Oct-16 20:28:18

A 10 or 15 min walk.
So many benefits. We consider ourselves lucky .

TheRedCarWon Wed 19-Oct-16 20:38:35

My dc are only just starting primary so can't comment as a parent but I remember when I was at high school, I went to one about 40 minutes' bus journey away because my parents thought it was a better school than the one that was only a teen minute walk away.
I was bullied both at school and on the bus and all my school friends lived too far away for me to see them after school/on a weekend and I didn't know anyone locally because they all went to the local high school.
I don't feel that going to the 'better' school has improved my life in any way; I know that many people who went to the local high have been very successful in their chosen careers so there's no reason to believe that I wouldn't have done so either.

When the time comes for my own dc, which admittedly is 5 years away, I hope to send them to the local high school simply because I want them to have local friends and to feel that they're not somehow separated from or not a member of their own community.

OCSockOrphanage Wed 19-Oct-16 20:50:59

For one year, DS did a 50 mile trip to school, and back each day. A friend's son had done it (it is an excellent school) and we were inclined to move closer but couldn't find a house that ticked any boxes let alone all of them. After a year it proved too gruelling for everyone and he spent two years, during which he learned f* all at the local comprehensive. The fact that he passed his GCSEs had little to do with the comprehensive. He could have got the same grades (or better) after CE.

Badbadbunny Thu 20-Oct-16 11:25:58

I don't feel that going to the 'better' school has improved my life in any way

Trouble with education is that we don't know how you would have turned out had you gone to the other school. It's all very personal and generalities/anecdotal evidence don't really advance the argument.

I went to the local school, was bullied, abused and assaulted regularly, and had a generally horrible time, eventually failing all my O levels. That may have happened had I gone to a better school further away, or I may have enjoyed my teen years and ended up with a string of good O levels.

You just don't know. That's one of the benefits of having choice these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now