Pls explain to me grammar/selective schools

(15 Posts)
The2Ateam Thu 08-Sep-16 11:57:55

Hi, we live in south east London, with no decent secondary schools around. Think gangs. We have just been refused a mortgage, so can't move to a catchment area, or a afford to rent there.

Have a bright DD8 who has just started yr4. I want to explore if it would be possible to get her into a grammar or selective, but haven't the first clue.

Do you have to live in the borough of the school? If you don't can you still apply? Do I need a tutor? If we live in London can we even apply? Sorry for all the questions, I am so confused. Thank you.

MumTryingHerBest Thu 08-Sep-16 13:06:28

south east London, with no decent secondary schools around.

The following grammar schools are located in SE London. You will need to look through the admissions criteria to see what/if catchments apply etc.

Beths Grammar School (Boys)
Bexley Grammar School
Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School
Townley Grammar School (Girls)

I think you may find that it is because of these Grammar schools that the non selective secondary schools in SE London don't look so good on paper.

If you do decide to go the Grammar/selective route you will still need to have a plan B just in case things don't pan out on the day. I know a number of children who scored lower than expected on the day but not many who scored higher than expected.

The2Ateam Thu 08-Sep-16 14:08:36

Hi thanks - the two secondary schools in my catchment area have been served improvement notices and locally known for gang problems. Definitely not the grammers (which are no where near we) making them look bad! I was hoping my plan B could be the selectives, but I really don't understand them enough to be sure. As I said, I find the whole thing really confusing.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 08-Sep-16 14:54:20

If you go on a website called elevenplus.co.uk you will find details of the schools in your area and a summary of their details, and then if you go on the forum page and regions, you'll be able to look at the London details (I think) and you'll find lots of helpful information from locals. I don't know how it works locally to you but most schools are either selective - where usually children in a particular catchment area get priority, and only if places are left are children out of catchment awarded places, or the school is super selective which means that the places are awarded strictly on score - so if there are 100 places, the children who get the highest 100 scores get a place, regardless of where they live. If you're not close to any grammars (and therefore probably not in catchment) you need to be looking at the super selectives.

The2Ateam Thu 08-Sep-16 15:58:24

Thank you, that's really helpful x

SaturdaySurprise Thu 08-Sep-16 19:36:19

You need to do some research. All boroughs publish a list of schools in their boroughs along with admissions criteria and exams, supplementary information forms (for faith schools) etc on their websites. Admission information is also on the schools' websites. The information is not secret.

You can apply for schools in any borough, but you apply on one form (Common Application Form) via the borough you live in. You put down six schools in your order of preference.

The2Ateam Thu 08-Sep-16 19:41:26

Thank you Saturdaysurprise X

MumTryingHerBest Thu 08-Sep-16 22:09:54

The2Ateam

Have a read through posts here:

www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewforum.php?f=51&sid=e3e28b3f212da226a636d2cf8f898a2f

MumTryingHerBest Thu 08-Sep-16 22:11:40

The following may also be useful:

www.bexley.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1901

citykat Thu 08-Sep-16 22:28:50

Depending on where you are Newstead Woods has a wide catchment - it is in Orpington. Kingsdale isn't a grammar but has a lottery so anyone can apply.

The2Ateam Fri 09-Sep-16 06:31:05

Thank you citycat & mumtryingherbest

SideEye Fri 09-Sep-16 06:32:56

The open evenings and open days for schools tend to be end of September and October. Go along and have a look.

SideEye Fri 09-Sep-16 06:33:58

Often there is a pass mark in the entrance exams which is lower for local children than those out of borough/area.

SaturdaySurprise Sat 10-Sep-16 13:55:55

Open evenings for the grammars tend to be in June or July.

PettsWoodParadise Sat 10-Sep-16 23:08:14

Townley went to all offered last year and the year before that it was 8 miles, you don't have to be in Bexley and they have lots of coaches serving places like Orpington. We went through the test process last year and DD started at Newstead this week and is loving it. Feel free to pm me of you have specific questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now