Talk

Advanced search

Starting Yr 7 Tuesday, any last tips?

(22 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sat 03-Sep-16 20:06:35

DS is starting highschool Tuesday.

We've got all the kit listed on the admission packs and I've sorted out that he's going to get the bus with a football friend.

I've got him a door key as I'll be picking the little ones up from school when he gets in.

Have I forgotten anything?

Anything useful to have in school that might not have been on the list?

We've got uniform, pe kit, wallet, pencil case, drink bottle and his mobile for emergencies.

Also, is it a good idea to have a last chat Monday night about what to do if x/y/z happens or will that upset him? He's already so nervous and worried about being bullied and fitting in that I don't want to make him worse.
He's got a chronic health condition so already feels different and he's constantly battling feeling like crap due to infections and poor lung health.

I'm trying so hard not to show him how anxious I am for him.
He's not big on talking about stuff so I don't want to push him but I want him to be prepared in case of bullying/getting lost/missing a bus etc.

noblegiraffe Sat 03-Sep-16 20:13:53

A quick chat on what to do if he misses the bus, gets lost or is bullied would be good, but do it tomorrow morning, don't leave it till Monday night. Monday night should be chilling out doing something like watching a film.

calzone Sat 03-Sep-16 20:13:57

Ds had a complete meltdown last night about going into y7 on Monday.

Obviously I was out for dinner with friends when he chose to have a meltdown with DH. 😳

Does he need a lock for his locker?

I can do no more for ds apart from telling him he will be fine.

Hope your ds is ok. Xx

mummytime Sun 04-Sep-16 08:29:28

If he's likely to do food tech, then a number of "click lock" type food containers.

Have a basic chat about who to go to if he has a problem (eg. head of year). And reassure (and ensure) that nothing will go wrong on the first day. Going with a friend/acquaintance is usually a good idea.

troutsprout Sun 04-Sep-16 09:16:54

He's unlikely to do much except sort out his timetable and planner and settling in type activities.
He won't need stuff for specific lessons.
He needs something to write with and lunch (or a means to get lunch)
You sound like you've got it covered.
Pack of tissues?.. Dd always has those in her bag
Is he likely to lose stuff? ( my ds did) If so attaching the key to the inside of his bag with a lanyard is a good idea.

troutsprout Sun 04-Sep-16 09:17:30

Hope he has a great time!smile

SideEye Sun 04-Sep-16 09:23:01

Reassure him that the entire year group is in the same position and will all be walking round together. Tell him you're really confident that he will manage fine because he's so good at keeping a cool head and being kind to others. Show no hint of anxiety. Play it nice and cool.

He is going to be utterly knackered. Have his favourite dinner on first day.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 04-Sep-16 09:25:45

Ooh I like the lanyard idea, I'll do that for ds1

He starts tomorrow, he seems ok about it but I am a little nervous about his bus journey as none of his friends are on it
I have offered to take him tomorrow but he says it's fine
I think I'm more worried than he is

fortifiedwithtea Sun 04-Sep-16 09:35:32

Get a keyring with a long plastic spring cord and a clip the other end. DD2 with SN has never lost her door key and locker key thanks to this type of keyring.

CodyKing Sun 04-Sep-16 09:37:39

I have 2 starting - they have everything they need

You may have a key worker in school - they get assigned children and are there to ease the transitions

All the kids will be nervous and on their best behavior to start with!

Talk to him about being nice and kind to others and don't engage with name calling or retaliation - others will see his kindness and stick up for him

In my experience Y9 come into their own helping Y7

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 04-Sep-16 13:12:05

Taking this all on board, thanks. smile

Sliceofrice Sun 04-Sep-16 19:18:32

If he needs to look at his map, stand at tje side of the corridor, not the centre!

Stickerrocks Sun 04-Sep-16 19:48:02

Get a couple of copies of his timetable & check each morning that he has anything particular for each day. Tell him to write everything down in his homework diary or take a photo from the board if he has a camera on his phone or they are allowed to. Even if he takes his own lunch, pop a few pounds on a lunch card in case of emergency or to get the odd snack at break.

HPFA Sun 04-Sep-16 20:27:56

I don't think I'd talk about bullying etc unless he raises it first or of course if he seems unhappy after a few days. My DD had a meltdown about a minor non-bullying bus incident and we just acted it out a few times so she felt confident about what to do if it happened again. I do think they can find the first couple of weeks quite tiring so be prepared for a possible increase in stroppiness. Best of luck and have the tissues handy for when you see him in his shiny new uniform - keep them out of sight of course.

ParadiseCity Sun 04-Sep-16 22:37:37

I have taken photos of DCs school day schedule and bus pass just in case they get lost. Apart from that am in same boat as you - good luck smile

angelnumber9 Sun 04-Sep-16 22:45:29

Oh don't, you're making me well up as my DD starts y7 too. It's such a step up but before we know it they will be off to uni! Remember going through all this when she was 4 and starting reception. Lots of hugs and a note with things for him to remember. Best of luck

MrSlant Sun 04-Sep-16 22:55:02

Find out where the loos are, most important first bit of school knowledge.

Make sure he knows that whatever happens, it's all fine, it's going to be different but it's exactly the same different for all of them, if he makes a mistake no one will notice because they will all be focused on themselves and the same little problems. You are there for him and there is nothing he can tell you you won't be able to sort out together.

I couldn't think of DS1's first days without crying for about 6 months ahead, he has some SN's, none of his friends were going to the same school as him and I was so worried. You know what? In a big year group like that there is always someone like them, DS1 found his tribe and tomorrow he starts sixth form really, really excited to be going back. If I could snap shot him bouncing with excitement to be going back to his friends and A level courses just to show the me of 5 years ago I would be so happy. Good luck, onwards and upwards, it's a big step but they are all doing it together, hope it goes as well as possible flowers.

Titsalinabumsquash Mon 05-Sep-16 09:16:22

Argh! His friend has bailed on bus and is now cycling, DS isn't confident enough to cycle that far (spacial awareness issues!)

I've told him I'll drive him in and pick him up for a few days until he's settled a bit then we'll tackle the bus/train thing.
So cross that friend had spent all holidays arranging to walk together only to decide against it at the last minute!

Unlockable Mon 05-Sep-16 09:26:10

Multiple copies of timetables as soon as you get it.

My son just finished yr7 and DD is about to start. In a small zip pocket in their bags they have enough cash to get a taxi home or buy food if they need to.
A timetable in case they lose theirs at school and don't know where to go next
A spare pen
My DD has spare underwear, wipes and sanitary pads in case she needs.

Stickerrocks Mon 05-Sep-16 13:10:03

Also be aware that friendship groups will chop & change very quickly, so I'd be slightly wary of sharing too much personal info too soon. He mustn't take it personally if people he sits with on the first day have abandoned him by the end of the week, simply because they've found someone who shares an obscure love of Korean pop music etc. He will quickly find his own group of like-minded friends and they are all finding their feet in the first few weeks.

ParadiseCity Mon 05-Sep-16 14:51:21

What a pain about the bus! I'm sure he will feel more confident to do the bus once he has a few days of school under his belt. Also his friend might realise cycling is pretty hard work wink

sashh Mon 05-Sep-16 17:12:31

When I started secondary school my mum sewed a £5 in the lining of my blazer - it was for emergencies only. My mum didn't wash my uniform much and we only wore blazers outside school so it was still there when I left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now