Talk

Advanced search

Relocation and Schools

(5 Posts)
NeVik Tue 09-Aug-16 10:34:12

Hi

I currently live in South London and on maternity with dd. My DS is about to start reception in an outstanding school (which was our first choice) in Sep.

We had been looking for long to buy a house (first time buyers) and have now just found one. It's a standard 3 bed semi with small rooms And a tiny galley style kitchen but we think we can't get anything better with the prop prices in London and after looking for years need to step up the ladder.

My husband works outside London (in Berkshire) and it's a 2 hour commute for him every day. Now I have got a job in High Wycombe and that's really confusing us.

First, should we leave the current set up - school place and the house on which we have put the offer (paper work in progress) and move towards that end.
Also we can't decide where to move to. Some of the places that we have looked are as expensive as south London (Marlow, Maidenhead, Amersham) and school catchment tiny as well
If we were to get same school standard and better value for us we would really move.

I would love to hear some of your advice also if anyone can suggest places around high Wycombe that are good and can get a good 3-4 bed house (semi or detached) within £550k

VioletBam Tue 09-Aug-16 12:18:03

Having been in similar position re. no home of my own and worrying about schools, I would not let the house or the school go.

However, having said that...have you looked at what secondary he would be attending in your area? What's that like?

MMorrison Tue 09-Aug-16 13:22:58

Hi thanks for
Coming back

The school where we have offered has boroughs two outstanding primaries and outstanding secondary. We have access to some super selective grammer and bexley/Kent could be do able if we really think it's worth moving to those areas in the coming year.

Although for now ok just confused about leaving the current set up but gaining more quality time but reducing husband travel time and also in bucks which also seems to have good schools.

LIZS Tue 09-Aug-16 21:39:29

Bucks has sought after grammar schools and many go to private for prep with a view to passing 11+. It is hardly in the sticks and there are plenty of village schools around HW area if the more local town schools are full. Have you asked the LA where has a reception place atm? You may not be able to apply yet but it should give you a feel for areas with potential vacancies. I would have thought you couple easily get a post war "Met house" within your budget. Certainly some towns are cheaper than others (Chesham less expensive for equivalent property than Amersham for example) but would suggest you avoid HW itself.

MMorrison Tue 09-Aug-16 23:37:32

Thanks for suggesting Chesham. From a first look it's looking decent and the prop towards south side of the town (towards Amersham) are reasonable. Any roads/area you know to avoid or schools?

Do you know how is burnham? Is it as bad as HW or is it nice? I'm now looking at affordable places with school places. All the nice areas have oversubscribed schools !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now