How do you pay your child's tutor?

(21 Posts)
stirling Tue 19-Jul-16 09:34:16

I'm asking because I am one. Sadly there are many sessions that are not paid until several weeks later, simply because the parents (yes more than one!) happen to know me or are friends. It makes me so uncomfortable to have to ask for payment, I'm then made to feel guilty for having asked!

I've had ridiculous excuses such as "What shall we do about payment because I don't carry cash around with me?" etc

I feel quite insulted. I'd be mortified if I had realised that I wasn't able to pay the cleaner at the end of her session, or at the least - pay the following week. Not several weeks later!

Thanks for any advice. I realise I haven’t been clear or firm from the outset. Just wonder where I go from here with students I currently have - with parents who are so-called friends.

Thanks for any advice

ClaireBlunderwood Tue 19-Jul-16 09:39:48

I used to do bank transfer for about four in bulk (I'd do something like two in advance two in arrears) but she now says she prefers cash each week because other parents weren't paying.

You just have to ask at the end of each session. Or clip an envelope with 'payment' written on it into the work folder. You could even put the dates on it with a tick by the ones that have been paid. I suspect that it's disorganisation rather than anything else that is preventing them.

Badbadbunny Tue 19-Jul-16 09:57:12

Yep, it's usually lack of organisation rather than deliberately trying to avoid paying.

Best to be crystal clear from the outset at the first contact, include payment terms in your initial discussions alongside explaining your way of working, arranging appointments, homework requirements, etc. Make it clear you must have payment in cash or cheque at each session or the next session won't happen. Give an option for them to pay in one lump sum at the start of each month/term by BACS.

Like anything, lay out the ground rules and you've a far better chance of people following them.

Have a system in place, i.e. an "appointment" sheet where you get the parent to sign at each lesson, which is a trigger for being paid. Or get a cheap/free invoicing system and prepare invoices for everyone before their lesson to hand to the parent.

PeaceOfWildThings Tue 19-Jul-16 10:05:25

Stirling, I used to tutor and would charge for 4/6 lessons in advance, on the first of each group. Kept a record of payment and would book up the lessons, agreeing when the lessons would be, on the (longer) lesson of payment. If a lesson was missed for whatever reason, they did not have to pay, I only charged for the lessons I did. However, if they missed often, I would suggest that they might prefer lessons on alternate weeks and share the spot, so I could fit in another customer (not ideal as very hard to cover all that is needed in fewer lessons, but I could set homework for parents to mark on the weeks off. The ones who did this managed to keep up).

LAmusic Tue 19-Jul-16 10:15:31

DD pays her tutor every week, she says she normally gives her it the start (I give it to her as I drop her off so it's in her hand) if not at the end her tutor will ask nicely 'I've forgotten sorry have you paid me today? '

Floggingmolly Tue 19-Jul-16 10:21:19

Cash, on the day.

LemonDr1zzle Tue 19-Jul-16 10:22:28

We paid cash at every session for our tutor. When I once forgot the money, she promptly emailed to remind me - it was done without embarrassment, not rude and I was glad for her clarity.

With music teachers we get an email / paper invoice either for the upcoming half term or a 10 week bulk booking. Pay in advance with a cheque or online banking. All done via email or notes, so no embarrassing face to face questions, especially if you're friends with the parents.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Tue 19-Jul-16 11:02:19

Ive tutored in the past and, after a few situations like this with people either 'unable to pay right now' or having the cheek to start haggling over my rate (!!), I've insisted on payment by bank transfer every 4 weeks or payment on the night.

Generally it's been left on the table at the start of the tutorial, I've clocked it, then it's given to me at the end.

To make this easier, I do a visit before we start and give them a T&C document stating things like I won't do work for you, homework must be completed, Improvement is only guaranteed if the tutee completes all assignments, payment in full, etc

catslife Tue 19-Jul-16 11:51:41

Unfortunately they seem to be taking advantage of the fact that you are "friends".
I work as a tutor and give parents a choice of payment method e.g. cash or cheque (at start of lesson) or internet payment (on day of lesson). If they have brought no payment at the start that gives time to text or phone the parent to ask for payment when they collect their child.
If they are still tricky, I point out that many tutors do ask parents to pay monthly in advance and that paying weekly is a concession, but if they wish to change ......

DoubleCarrick Tue 19-Jul-16 11:56:17

I'm a tutor and I invoice at the end of the month. I'm starting to change over to cash weekly. Although this is more annoying to track, it's better because I've had a couple of parents not pay me

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 19-Jul-16 11:57:16

Cash on the day.

thehousewife Tue 19-Jul-16 11:58:12

Just cash as we leave on the day.

stoopstofolly Tue 19-Jul-16 12:02:11

Cash on the day.

waitressinacocktailbar Tue 19-Jul-16 12:05:23

I am a tutor and either take cash/bank transfer on the day or they pay a half term in advance. I've never once not given a lesson and not been paid at the time though when I get new starters I do say "oh people usually pay cash on the day" implying that's what I prefer.

Iwantacampervan Tue 19-Jul-16 13:37:20

I tutor and I mainly get cash on the day - sometimes I'm paid a week later but I've never had to chase. One family (two children) prefers to pay by bank transfer so I type up an invoice every 4 weeks or so and the money has appeared in a couple of days.
I have a spreadsheet where I keep a record f all the sessions and payments - useful for checking any outstanding amounts and for my tax return.
If there are several parents who take time to pay or are using the no cash excuse then I would present them with a written invoice for all outstanding weeks with your bank details on.

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 19-Jul-16 15:33:10

Cash on the night after every session. Wouldn't dream of letting a tutor go unpaid.

stirling Tue 19-Jul-16 17:09:54

Thank you so much for all the replies. It's good to know how you've been paid if you are a tutor yourself. With your ideas in mind - I think I know what to now do. I'm going to give her the option of paying either on the day or a month upfront. I'm just going to have to be assertive and say so.

Thanks again

Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Jul-16 17:11:36

Ours emails DH before she leaves the drive and he pays her as soon as he sees the message.

areyoubeingserviced Tue 19-Jul-16 17:19:06

We leave the money in an envelope with teachers name on it.
She just takes it when the lesson has finished
It would irritate me if people didn't pay for my service on time .

cressetmama Wed 20-Jul-16 20:57:41

All our tutoring is done on line and cash is drawn down as each session is booked.

NoBetterName Thu 21-Jul-16 23:47:54

I am a tutor. I prefer a cashless system because tbh cash is a bit of a pita. I either do bank transfer at the start of each month (which attracts a discount), or payment via card or phone banking app on the day. I never accept cheques due to previous issues with cheques bouncing, dated incorrectly, wrong payee etc and will do cash if I have to. I've learned from past experience that unless I know a client well, I don't leave a session unpaid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now