Advanced search

Going back to school as an adult.

(5 Posts)
SofiaAmes Wed 22-May-02 23:15:16

Does anyone know how an adult goes back and gets the education they didn't get as a child. My husband went into care at the age of 12 and really never got much of an education after that. He is now in his 40's and would like to go back and learn the current equivalent of 0-levels and A-levels and maybe even go to uni some day. Where does he begin? I don't even know where to tell him to start. Any suggestions?

SueDonim Wed 22-May-02 23:42:34

Some FE colleges offer a course which leads to university entry, for people who missed out on formal education. You could try the internet to find out if your local college offers such a course. Good luck to your DH!

Zoya Thu 23-May-02 10:41:06

SofiaAmes, unless your husband is interested in the kind of scientific/mathematical subjects where you have to acquire information step-by-step in order to progress, it would really be better for him to give O-levels and A-levels a miss, and look into Access to Higher Education courses. As Suedonim says, these are usually run by FE colleges, often with a direct link to a local university, and they are designed specifically for people in his situation. Unlike O and A levels, they take into account the life experiences he's had, the fact that mature students are usually very highly motivated and committed etc.

I think I've picked up from other posts by you that you live in London, so there will be lots of courses around. A lot of the London universities really focus on mature students and those who come into HE via non-traditional routes, and some have access advisors - it might be worth ringing them to ask for advice, as they might be able to recommend the best local access courses. Try University of East London, South Bank University, Middlesex, U of North London, for starters.

I wish your husband the very best with his efforts to get an education. As a university lecturer, I love working with students like him, they bring so much richness and diversity to the classroom and are so committed to studying.

susanmt Fri 24-May-02 10:07:39

Some schools will also take in adults - I once taught Highr Geography to a class with 2 adults in - but the FE route is proobably more appropriate if he is looking at going to Uni.
Hope it works out for him.

Marina Fri 24-May-02 11:23:42

I'd second Zoya's suggestion that he may not need to go the GCSE route first. I used to work at South Bank when their Access course was in its infancy and it was so rewarding to see people make it through to get (usually top-class) degrees.
There is also the Open University, although I think perhaps your dh would enjoy the fun of group classroom learning after missing out on so much in his youth.
And maybe his employers, if he is in paid employment, have a scheme that would give him day-release or fund some course fees.
Good luck to him!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: