All 5 candidates for Tory leadership went to state schools

(10 Posts)
Millyonthefloss2 Thu 30-Jun-16 13:54:03

I've always believed that independent schools were better at fostering self-confidence.
My dcs go to state schools. So the fact that May, Gove, Fox, Leadsom and Crabb all went to state schools really cheers me up.
(Although admittedly, Gove and May did also have spells at private schools.)

notagiraffe Thu 30-Jun-16 14:36:29

Talk about looking for a silver lining. I wouldn't be happy for a homophobic loony like Crabb to be let loose on the nation, wherever he went to school.

Millyonthefloss2 Thu 30-Jun-16 15:44:26

Not endorsing Crabb. I'm just glad to see that state school bods can have the confidence to put themselves forward. Had got used to politics and the media being dominated by the privately educated.

eddiemairswife Thu 30-Jun-16 15:48:50

Heath, Thatcher and Major all went to state schools.

bakeoffcake Thu 30-Jun-16 15:54:22

Yes it's good OP. Makes a change after recent years.

buffalogrumble Thu 30-Jun-16 16:40:29

Whereas Corbyn went to prep school...

To be honest, I don't think we should judge people on the education choices made by their parents, but on their track record.

pointythings Fri 01-Jul-16 13:34:05

Michael Gove wasn't entirely state educated, he did go to a private secondary (scholarship though). I still can't stand him for what he's done to education in the UK.

ReallyTired Fri 01-Jul-16 13:40:22

We need someone who can bring two tearing factions together. We need someone who is capable of being conciliatory yet firm. I feel that Michael Gove is far too aggressive. Just look at how he has upset the teaching profession. We do not want an MP alienating world leaders in the same way. I favour either May or Leadsom.

saskdilemma Fri 01-Jul-16 13:41:43

I actually want Michael gove to win- that way the labour/ libdems would have enough people disgusted with the gremlin/goblin/gove to bother to go out and vote for labour/libdems

WordGetsAround Fri 01-Jul-16 13:45:59

I agree with you OP. It is great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now