Long shot- anyone know about uni in Australia?

(9 Posts)
Draylon Fri 24-Jun-16 12:04:02

DS1 is 2 years off going, if he does. All of us have dual citizenship, UK and Oz; though we've been in the UK 15 years now.

Following Brexit, we are considering our options as a family; thus the possibility of returning to Oz if, for example, DH's company carry through with this morning's announcement that they are 'strongly considering' relocating their HQ back to Paris; and I'm an NHS HCP who may not have an NHS to work in!

Does anyone have any thoughts about it?

bojorojo Fri 24-Jun-16 14:22:54

I am devastated by the vote and share your concerns but the NHS will remain - unlike a number of foreign banks and businesses. My DD has various Australian friends she met on her Erasmus year abroad (another problem as it is EU funded) and the quality of Australian universities is high. If you are asking about what qualifications they require for entry, then I guess each university would have information on the international qualifications they accept, eg A levels.

Only you can decide where your family should live based on your individual experiences and I am sure you are not alone in wondering what the future will bring. However, we would be sorry to lose you. I have so much worry that people have voted with no idea of the consequences and have blamed foreigners for everything that they perceive as wrong. Most people have more to lose than gain from this result - unless your name is Boris of course!

StUmbrageinSkelt Fri 24-Jun-16 14:27:22

What's the actual question? Any Australian uni will accept a citizen who has entry qualifications. They would be eligible for HECS funding (or whatever i is called now).

There are excellent unis here, and middling ones and less than stellar ones just like any other country.

bojorojo Fri 24-Jun-16 14:50:15

The question is upheaval, concern about a different system of higher education and feeling uncertain about the future.

ChopsticksandChilliCrab Fri 24-Jun-16 14:54:26

Australian universities often require a post-16 qualification in English. If DS isn't doing the IB he might need to do A level English in order to apply. You need to check admission requirements.

Pythonesque Thu 30-Jun-16 10:04:06

I can't remember the details but there will be issues of home vs international student fees. I think it used to be resident for a certain length of time before you could be eligible for local fees but am out of date. It appeared to be not uncommon for students from some countries to come and do two years of school in Sydney prior to university, even though slightly above typical school age.

You definitely need to find out about such things, the rules were similar but also quite different to those in the UK. A whole family relocating for work purposes ought to be able to be treated differently but I don't know whether that will be the case.

prettybird Mon 04-Jul-16 18:55:54

Marking place out of interest as ds is determined to go to an Australian Uni so that he can also play Southern Hemisphere rugby.

As we live in Scotland, we are telling him that he can go there for his postgrad when there are bursaries and scholarships available but we're not paying for an undergraduate degree when he can get one for free here grin

Draylon Tue 05-Jul-16 15:07:19

Thanks, yes, I was wondering about International v. local fees; am rather hmm about any possibility of needing post-16 English, which is 'amusing' in that high school finished at 17 in Queensland.

Since this is Brexit related, I shall come right out and say I bet the English thing is a subtle form of 'engineering'! When we were in Qld, medicine became post-graduate only.. The reason given was that it made newly qualified Drs older, made them more carefully consider medicine rather than just walk into it, aged 17- but in reality, the truth is the med school was full of 17+ year old Chinese girls, many of whom- and I will be blunt here, had quite limited English ability, and they wanted to redress the imbalance.

You'd get these old boys, 'cocky farmers' would come in from the bush and thus would ensue a mangled, incomprehensible consultation as neither could understand the other either linguistically or culturally!

Most of these girls had spent time if not most of their education in Oz, and all had the equivalent of 3 A* A levels, but the system meant their entire education came down to one number (top was 990); so every Asian DC who got 990 did medicine or law.

barabasiAlbert Sat 09-Jul-16 08:29:00

Draylon as well as fee status and entry requirements (not just English but Maths as well for Sydney I think & possibly Melbourne) I guess you'd want to check out very carefully which unis are good for whatever your son wants to do.

My experience of (me & DH) having both studied in Oz, then done postgrad in Europe/UK & postdocs in the UK is that on returning to the southern hemisphere I was shocked by how much standards had dropped. They weren't high to begin with in the area of science i studied/worked in, but they were frankly woeful 20 years later after lots of budget cuts and at least 20 years of first year uni being regarded as a fun repeat of high school because intake standards varied so widely. This basically means that the richer, older unis still have almost all the advantages over the much newer ones (even though it wasn't meant to turn out that way), partly because they've started trying to set higher entry standards, but even the rich/old ones have some woefully crap highly traditional courses in comparison to what's on offer in the UK...

Postgrad med in all the Australian medschools that adopted it was a bit of a reaction to which particular students had had enough tiger parenting to get them 99.5% in the HSC. My perception was that the change to postgrad was about immature & unimaginative students with few social skills & less resilience making it into medical school - and while that did include students with poor language skills, it also included lots of tiger-parented private school kids who'd done nothing but study since they were about 3. I went to a school that routinely fed 10-20% of year 12 into UNSW undergrad medicine - they were all white, first language English (the asian kids all did commerce and law). Only two who got into med lasted the course - the rest were spectacularly studious but far too immature.

20 years on, however, postgrad med now looks somewhat like undergrad med used to in terms of the level of life experience and maturity of the students - now they just all have Biomedical science honours degrees as well... Initially the Sydney course was full of 45 year old ex-musicians/ ex-artists/ people with language degrees/ ex nurses etc but they'd have great difficulty competing these days against the fiercely tutored hordes who have been studying for GAMSAT & the med interview since age 10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now