Proving a fraudulent school application

(8 Posts)
MrsHufflepuff Wed 22-Jun-16 14:24:47

We've been moved down our preferred school waiting list as someone new moved into the area. A place at the school recently opened up which we didn't get. I understand the lists can move.

But, I'm pretty sure I know the house and I happen to know the neighbours who say that they haven't moved in yet. Shutters are down at the house and it doesn't look very lived in. How would I go about proving that the house wasn't lived in when the schools application was made?

titchy Wed 22-Jun-16 14:35:42

Most LEAs let you use an address once you've exchanged contacts, so they may well have done that, but not yet completed.

MrsHufflepuff Wed 22-Jun-16 14:48:53

But it does say in admissions info that the child must be resident at the address at time of application. . . which surely means living there?

titchy Wed 22-Jun-16 14:55:33

You need to check what it says specifically late applications, not on-time ones where yes, the child has to be resident.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 22-Jun-16 15:35:12

But you don't even know if that is the address. You're just guessing.

I'd wait and see what happens.

meditrina Wed 22-Jun-16 15:39:54

If you have suspicions, report them.

But as you're not even sure you have the right property, be realistic about whether that will make any difference. Also allow for policy on accepting applications based on signed tenancy or exchange of contracts, or those permitted to use a future address (Forces families - which would fit with a house that's been empty for a while)

prh47bridge Thu 23-Jun-16 00:13:14

Many LAs have a separate section in their admissions booklet about changes of address. That will apply in this situation. Most will accept a new address before the family actually moves in. For forces families and others on Crown Service they are required to do so.

As Meditrina says, if you have suspicions you should report them.

PippaFawcett Thu 23-Jun-16 00:15:51

We are about to exchange on a new house and we can apply for a school place as soon as we have set a completion date and sent proof to the LA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now