Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mass recycling of school uniform - Any suggestions?

(8 Posts)
LightFast Sat 18-Jun-16 14:15:09

At the school my son attends, Year 11 pupils are allowed the privilege of wearing light blue badged polo tops. This 'privilege' is to be discontinued next year with new Year 11s in shirt and tie as per years 7 to 10 which means that these polo shirts, bought new last September have no further use, won't be part of 2nd hand uniform shop and can't be handed down to younger children.
Year 11 has 300 (ish) children, all of which (I imagine) will have several polo shorts. May be 1200 in total. That's an awful lot of polo shirts!!!
Many will be lightly used: if a child has 5 polo shirts, each shirt has only been worn and washed less than 40 times, there is plenty of wear left in the ones we have.
If we were to organise a mass collection, does anyone know of anyway in which these can be re-used, re-purposed, re-cycled, other then charity shops as I think our local ones will be somewhat overwhelmed and nobody will need them anyway...

Chasingsquirrels Sat 18-Jun-16 14:18:09

Bags to school type thing? They do it on weight.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 18-Jun-16 14:20:35

I'd bet a school in Africa or similar would love a complete set of matching uniform for their pupils - there must be a charity that would do that rather than randomly recycle them.

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 18-Jun-16 14:22:57

This might give some ideas?:

www.burtonmail.co.uk/john-rolleston-primary-school-youngsters-recycle/story-26909020-detail/story.html

PatriciaHolm Sat 18-Jun-16 14:24:25

Bagstoschool dont take branded school wear.

Leeds2 Sat 18-Jun-16 16:29:10

DD's school has a "connection" who takes any donated uniform to a school in Africa. I don't know how easy it would be for you to find someone who would do that for you!

MiaowTheCat Sat 18-Jun-16 16:36:05

Worst case and you can't find anywhere I'm betting lots of parents down the school or art departments would be able to use them for "aprons" to go over clothes when doing messy stuff.

eyebrowsonfleek Wed 22-Jun-16 11:50:33

Refugees in Calais?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now