Talk

Advanced search

Program about growing up in the sixties

(7 Posts)
DrDreReturns Thu 02-Jun-16 13:26:29

Hello, I wonder if anyone could help me identify a TV series I watched in lessons at primary school in the eighties? The program followed two boys and their families as they grew up in the fifties / sixties. One of them failed the eleven plus and one of them passed it. The one who failed it ended up becoming a policeman if I remember correctly. I think it looked at social changes in the sixties etc. I was telling DW about it last night and I can't remember the name of the series!

Smudger35 Thu 02-Jun-16 14:09:06

Think it was called How we Used to Live?? Seem to remember watching it at Primary School too.

Smudger35 Thu 02-Jun-16 14:13:43

Think it was called How we used to live...
If it's what I'm thinking of, we watched it at Primary School too.

DrDreReturns Thu 02-Jun-16 20:47:06

Thank you that's it! I will try and find it on YouTube.

morningtoncrescent62 Fri 03-Jun-16 08:38:08

Didn't the one who went to grammar school end up dropping out and becoming a hippie?

Smudger35 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:15:11

Think so. Seem to remember a particularly morbid episode where one of the sets of parents died as their mini crashed on the motorway. For some reason our teacher made us watch it twice. Not sure what that was about...

DrDreReturns Fri 03-Jun-16 11:30:25

Yes I think he became a hippie and he had a Welsh Nationalist girlfriend. There was a scene when an English person's second home (in Wales) was subject to an arson attack and his girlfriend refused to help.
I remember something about a funeral but we weren't allowed to watch it as the teachers thought it was inappropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now