Advanced search

12+ transfer to grammar school.

(6 Posts)
sam84uk Wed 01-Jun-16 16:56:11

My DD didn't pass this year's 11+, we also appealed due to extenuating circumstances but lost.

Recently the headteacher at our preferred school wrote to invite DD to sit the 12+ in September (4 days before the children return to school). She said we'd get the results that day & if successful we'd then fill in a transfer form and the local authority would deal with the transfer from there.

Today I contacted my local authority to ask how long a transfer would usually take. They've said that they won't consider any transfers until after the October half term. This would mean that DD would have to attend her current allocated school until at least November despite potentially knowing that she'd be moving school before even starting! The preferred school has places available and the headteacher has planned the 12+ test deliberately early in the term to get the ball rolling asap for the children.

I get the impression that there is some animosity between the head and the local authority about the timing of the test.

The authority have said that their reason for the delay is to allow children to settle in to their new school before deciding to transfer however in this case we've already expressed interest, appealed for this school and DD will have already sat the entrance test! They also said that delay is due to the workload that they'd have in the September with those wanting to move schools.

Does anyone have any advice or experience in anything similar?

Thanks in advance.

MMmomDD Thu 02-Jun-16 12:02:50

No advice, can just say that I hear you and it doesn't sound great, or fair, etc.

However, it is what it is. And if you really like that grammar schools - just go with the flow. Have her sit the exam, hope for the best. And if she gets in, just wait out rhe term. In the end, she'll have years in that school and the initial bump will be forgotten!

BertrandRussell Thu 02-Jun-16 12:07:45

It all sounds very bizarre and possibly illegal. And if the grammar school is genuinely undersubscribed I would want to know why- most have waiting lists.

BertrandRussell Thu 02-Jun-16 12:09:27

But if there are spaces, and she passes the exam, I would just send the there from day 1. How are they going to stop you?

sam84uk Thu 02-Jun-16 22:15:52

No one is quite sure why there are still spaces at the school this year, plenty of people appealed for a place though however fewer than 28 must have been successful (there were 28 spare places). There was some suggestion that the 11+ was particularly difficult this year so fewer girls qualified, others have suggested that perhaps there were fewer girls born in this area 11 years ago.

The LA's admission arrangements state:

"8.11 If a parent expresses a preference for one or more of the grammar schools, then their child will be assessed by the school or schools concerned and a decision made by the governing body as to whether to offer a place. The governing body will then inform the Council of the outcome of the application.

8.13 All parents will be informed by the Council of the school place allocated by letter and advised to contact the headteacher of the school to arrange admission."

They obviously couldn't stop us from presenting DD on the first day but I've no idea if the school would be allowed to accept her without the LAs approval? I plan on discussing it further with the headteacher next week.

sam84uk Tue 14-Jun-16 13:56:09

Just to update I spoke to the headteacher who contacted the LA. Since then the admissions team at the LA emailed me to say:
"It has been agreed for this year only that as there are still places available at the Grammar School for Girls that pupils may be tested in September and complete transfer forms then and not having to wait until October half term."

Thanks for the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now