agent/consulant in UK for boarding schools

(12 Posts)
gerger Sun 29-May-16 14:50:40

Hi

I am come from HK, thinking to find an agent in UK to recommend any girls boarding schools for my daughter since they are local people in UK, they may know more details than the agents in HK. Not sure my thinking is right. Any experience or good agents in UK recommend? Thanks

AveEldon Sun 29-May-16 14:59:03

Try these people www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/advice

AnotherNewt Sun 29-May-16 15:01:35

Gabbitas is one of the big name consultancies for education advice and assistance with placement. I've not used them, but have never heard a bad thing about them.

Wordsaremything Sun 29-May-16 15:34:01

Gosh are they still going? Used to be Gabbitas and Thring I believe?

OrchardDweller Sun 29-May-16 15:36:33

We've used Gabbitas a couple of times recently. They have extremely helpful and provided excellent advice.

helenwilson Mon 30-May-16 19:51:58

I worked at a girls boarding school in Ascot and they used Gabbitas a lot for the overseas girls, they were very good.

gerger Tue 31-May-16 09:20:44

Thank you for the information.

Hi Helensilson

Since you are working in boarding school, what do you think the reference letter should be written by who (from govt important staff, university professor, or .....) will be most helpful? Thanks

Grikes Wed 01-Jun-16 03:36:57

TBH it doesn't matter which agent you use. The agent is only good if.
A. You know what type of school you want for your daughter.
B. If you have a particular school in mind.

Other than that the agents are feeling in the dark for a right fit for your DD.

I have a friend who's daughter is having a torrid time at boarding. They did not ask their DD opinion nor understood her needs. Hence failure not only academically but socially too.

Going to the UK is not the easy option as many HK parents think. There are lots to consider.
1) Language barrier, understanding and comprehension.
2) Social ability, culturally we are different. DD needs to accept this as she will be with many different cultures

These two points may seem simple but can be difficult to grasp.

The honest question you have to ask will my DD not only survive boarding will she enjoy it too. Don't do as my friend did just pick a school. You really need to find one that fits your DD style , ability and ethos.

Don't pick one that suits yours for boasting rights. If that is the case. You will find boasting rights soon drop to the wayside. When the problems begin much to the dismay of my friends.

littlemonkey5 Wed 01-Jun-16 03:47:22

our school has an international school. It is a separate school from the rest but the students are also part of the school for pastoral care and social integration.

Overall I love the school my DD attends as it is centred around family. When your children are boarding, they are treated with respect and love so they feel confident and secure. That is what is needed when you can't be there to provide it yourself.

tavinbloom Wed 01-Jun-16 10:28:32

Check if the school puts a limit on the number of students from a particular country,nothing worse than large groups sitting together at every meal,not talking English and not getting involved in school activities

BrightWorldEducationLtd Fri 11-Nov-16 11:21:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

selly24 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:06:51

Another vote for Good Schools guide. They are fab. As for needing to know what you want, so dint think that is true as their role is to guide you through options, asking pertinent questions along the way.

Set aside done time to come to the UK and visit schools on your short list. (Private visit versus open days, so you can get a realistic flavour of the school.

I do have some first hand knowledge of several schools so feel free to pm me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now