Talk

Advanced search

Toby Young admits to arrogance

(18 Posts)
hesterton Sat 07-May-16 07:50:35

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/toby-young-running-free-school-was-harder-than-i-thought-a3241746.html

Who would have imagined it. Shock reveal: it's actually quite hard to run a school and loudly insisting on the highest standards doesn't mean they'll automatically plop into your lap.

Has anyone worked at his free school? What's it like?

Hassled Sat 07-May-16 07:54:30

I haven't worked at a Free School but I have a long-standing and really quite worryingly obsessive hatred of Toby Young and all the inflammatory "you must be doing it wrong" bollocks he's churned out. It must have caused him some degree of pain to find such humility - but it's good to see.

hesterton Sat 07-May-16 10:31:54

It is indeed.

MrsJayy Sat 07-May-16 10:34:37

What was he expecting get together open school with some chums oh sooo we have to educate these kids arse

Napnah Sat 07-May-16 10:44:33

I had lunch with Toby young and a large group of people in Cambridge once (about 30 years ago). It was a lovely restaurant but he insisted that he didn't like anything on the menu and asked the waitress if the kitchen could just make him a plate of grilled vegetables. I thought he was a breathtaking twat.

hesterton Sat 07-May-16 11:03:40

He does come with some similar anecdotes. I wonder what it was like to teach there with him at the helm. Specially in the early days.

MrsJayy Sat 07-May-16 11:12:20

I saw him on celeb come dine with me he made a huge show of putting his kids to bed first his wife really cooked the dinner he told his guests how expensive his steak was I thought he couldnt get any twattier then said he opened ice cream in supermarkets to check it wasnt crystalised

BoGrainger Sat 07-May-16 11:20:12

His eldest child is now in year 8 at WLFS so no need to pretend to be interested for the greater good. <cynic>

MrsJayy Sat 07-May-16 11:24:12

That makes sense and its not cynical probably true kids off to secondary so bugger them

MothershipG Sat 07-May-16 13:45:29

It was amazingly arrogant of him to assume he could just decide to set up a school and it would be marvellous. He says the SLT are settled but they've had 3 heads in 3 years so he'd better hope this one sticks.

A friend of my DS was in the first intake and is on track to do well and has been happy. He is part of the first year to reach GCSEs so it will be interesting to see how they do.

In my opinion they have attempted to select by stealth. We went to the open day for DD and they basically said we are rigorously academic and don't bother applying if that's not suitable for your child. Of course they dressed it up but that was clearly the message.

Pico2 Sat 07-May-16 14:00:32

I wonder how many people he trampled on before he gained this insight.

hesterton Sat 07-May-16 14:13:26

Pico, that's exactly what I wondered. How realistic his expectations were of staff and whether he blamed them when things didn't go his way. The three heads suggests maybe...

NonnoMum Sat 07-May-16 14:18:22

I also like comparing the effort required in teaching is similar to being an actor on stage (yes, I know it's been done before). But the amount of energy needed to get through a teaching day is HUGE and he know realises that and has realised that teachers DO have a heavy workload.

The twat.

prh47bridge Sat 07-May-16 20:48:37

Toby Young says he has been misreported. See blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/yesterday-was-one-of-the-worst-day-of-my-life/.

hesterton Sat 07-May-16 21:44:23

Hmm that's an interesting blog. I hate to have to agree, but it does sound like he's been badly stitched up there.

SuffolkNWhat Sat 07-May-16 21:49:55

How interesting this comes just before the first set of results from his school. Cynic, moi?

BushBabies Sat 07-May-16 21:59:40

We have a child at one of his schools and are really happy with it. I don't agree with TY's politics, or many of his personal views, but I take my hat off to him for putting in the time to establish 4 good schools in a Borough with a school place shortage. He wasn't paid for his first few years work and he won't be paid for his continuing voluntary role. He is not stepping back just because his kids have places, his first had had a place for 3 years and thre rest would get in as siblings.

And there have not been three Heads in 3 years. There were three is in the first three years but the current Head has been around 2-3 years and is great.

He is not all bad as MN usually insists.

What1984 Sat 07-May-16 23:33:10

The original Schools Week article is here:

schoolsweek.co.uk/toby-young-free-school-chief-executive/

Its a good read, and the comments below it interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now