Talk

Advanced search

sent confidential info about another pupil

(3 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Sat 30-Apr-16 20:46:57

In the holidays we received a hand written envelope, addressed to an unknown name, but at our address. I've lived here for 10 years so knew it wasn't a previous occupant. Inside was a praise certificate to a child at my son's school.
I took it into the office and explained it had been sent in error and my confusion over the address.

Today I received a letter in the post, in a windowed envelope which didn't clearly show who it was for (by the time "to the parents/guardians of" had finished there was pretty much no more space).

I opened it and saw it was the "private and confidential" results of the school weight/height assessments carried out last year - sent by the department of public health. I read it and was surprised at the numbers provided, until I looked back up at the full addressee - it was referring to another child. This may/may not be the same child the previous mail was for but I can't remember.

I've emailed the head teacher and the person who the letter was from as this is a concerning error (both for the other child's parents and, selfishly, who knows where my child's correspondence is going if not to our address). Now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing or not. Any thoughts?

Out2pasture Sun 01-May-16 01:28:43

you've live there for a long period so I think what you did is reasonable.

Badbadbunny Sun 01-May-16 11:51:32

You've done the right thing in telling those responsible. You can do no more. It sounds like a common database/mailmerge foul up, so the sooner they realise what's happened the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now