Talk

Advanced search

Parental death in run up to exams

(9 Posts)
IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 21-Apr-16 23:04:30

My brother has suddenly died... All traumatic.
His 2 kids are about to sit gcses and A Levels... Obviously this has been completely overwhelming and traumatic for them.

School are aware....

This must happen a lot - does anyone know what may happen? I assume if they're close to grade boundary they may be boosted? What would happen of they were unable to sit part of exams?

titchy Fri 22-Apr-16 08:01:40

Their school needs to inform the exam board. They'll need evidence - sorry. Death certificate etc. Their marks will be inflated but by a very very small amount - 5% I think.thanks

Quook Fri 22-Apr-16 12:43:13

Ivory sorry about your loss. That so shocking.thanks

As well as an allowance being made by the exam board I wonder if it might be worth contacting any Unis that the elder child is applying to. Perhaps you could contact UCAS and ask.

The timing is terrible for them.

NewLife4Me Fri 22-Apr-16 12:50:08

Poor kids, and sincerest condolences to you thanks

Yes, school will need to forward the certificate to the examining boards.
They sometimes ask teachers to send target grades and take it from there when results are known.
I know they used to do this, but each case could be managed differently.

OzzieFem Fri 22-Apr-16 13:24:54

I believe the teacher who has made the initial referee statement for UCAS should be sending a statement explaining the facts to UCAS, and the Unis student has accepted as firm and insurance choices.

If they do not receive the grades required as originally stated, then they might accept a lower grade. It's too late to bring up the death once the exams are completed and the results known.

catslife Sat 23-Apr-16 11:26:20

It's called Special Consideration and the school applies to each exam board on behalf of the pupils. As already stated it's only a small percentage of the marks but worth it if close to grade boundaries.
If the GCSE student needs particular grades for sixth form e.g. considering moving to another college or school, it is also worth letting them know as well. Some sixth forms may be less strict on entry grades under the circumstances.

Wolfiefan Sat 23-Apr-16 11:28:29

You have had very good advice here. (Ex teacher)
But
flowers
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Boogers Sat 23-Apr-16 11:35:23

I'm so sorry for your loss flowers

On a practical level, you need to inform the exam board and school, and if the children apply to college or university and their grades go against them you also need to make that institution aware of the reason for (potential) poor performance. FE/HE institutions generally do take mitigating circumstances into account, but you have to contact the exam board to explain why first.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Tue 26-Apr-16 12:23:26

Many thanks for all the replies and condolences.

Very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now