Talk

Advanced search

How do I go about putting my name on a waiting list for a school place?

(10 Posts)
Snowflakes1122 Sat 16-Apr-16 14:13:32

I didn't get first choice for a reception place for my child.
I'm wanting to put my name on a waiting list for a particular school.
Do I contact the school directly, or the council?
Thanks

SilverGiraffe7 Sat 16-Apr-16 14:28:39

You will automatically be on the waiting list for any school in a choice position higher than you got so if you were given your 3rd choice school, you are on the waiting list for your 2nd and 1st already.
Not sure if it's a different school entirely!

PettsWoodParadise Sat 16-Apr-16 15:29:43

Not all admissons system do the automatic wait list for higher preferences, many do, but not all. So do check the admissons booklet for your LA. If it wasn't one of your choices then it may be classed as an in-year application so look on the admission area of the school you are interested in. Each area and location is different so be careful about any advice.

LIZS Sat 16-Apr-16 15:40:05

Ring LA . Some schools may maintain their own lists but not all. Don't rely on it being automatic.

Snowflakes1122 Sat 16-Apr-16 15:43:55

Thank you

MrsBungle Sat 16-Apr-16 15:47:41

Have a look on the education section of your council's website, it most likely says there. Not all are automatic, it's our you click on the electronic system to be added to waiting lists.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 16-Apr-16 16:01:51

How do you know before Monday?

MrsBungle Sat 16-Apr-16 17:20:34

seven because national offer day is the 16th but some council's are waiting to let people know until the next working day which is Monday. Others are telling people on the 16th.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 16-Apr-16 17:36:07

Oh I see.

mummytime Sat 16-Apr-16 18:55:20

I would check with both the school and LA. Because my LA's letter made it sound as if you automatically went on the waiting list, but the Catholic school only put you on if you requested. So it's better to be safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now