Talk

Advanced search

Bromley High School - Juniors and Seniors

(7 Posts)
Elvesandthepoomaker Mon 11-Apr-16 16:24:05

We are relocating to the UK in 18 months' time and DH has his heart set on sending DD (3) to Bromley High. We're at a very early stage of looking at schools but I wondered if anyone could give any feedback on either the Juniors or Seniors? Thanks

PettsWoodParadise Tue 12-Apr-16 06:50:10

DD went there for Juniors - Y3 to penultimate term of Y6. It is a highly oversubscribed school so it isn't as simple as setting your heart on it, there need to be places and your DD needs to pass the test. The bar isn't particularly high but I do know girls who were turned away aged 4. There are lots of opportunities at the school through the affiliation with the GDST and DD did fine but we are home educating for last term of Y6 as she really wasn't learning much nor being stretched. There are lots of sporty girls too at the school and the facilities are nice. They have a great science and language teaching in the junior school and from Y4 it is more like a middle school with expert teachers. DD is moving on from there to the state superselective grammar but many stay on. Class sizes from Y3 are 24.

Elvesandthepoomaker Tue 12-Apr-16 12:34:56

Thanks, Petts. Are you able to say if there has been a difference between the expectations at BHS and any of the non-selective preps?

MrsLavBerry Fri 30-Sep-16 16:22:10

Thanks PettsWoodParadise / Elvesandthepoomaker - we are facing similar situation. My DD is currently in Year 1 at Crofton Junior. Although she is very happy and doing very well now, I am thinking whether I should consider sending her to Bromley High from Year 3 onwards, so that for her to be better prepared for the next stage of the schooling.

Petts, I would love to hear your views on choosing between BHS vs. staying at a good local state school at Year 3, and choosing between BHS vs. the superselective grammar at Year 7.

Many thanks in advance

wineoclockthanks Fri 30-Sep-16 17:24:56

Just be aware that because BHS has it's own senior school, it doesn't have any incentive to help prepare the girls for the 11+ or Newstead Woods test.

It suits a certain type of girl, those that fit the mould do well but I have 2 sets of friends have moved their girls at the start of year 6 as they felt they weren't being challenged enough.

PettsWoodParadise Fri 30-Sep-16 22:19:15

If I had my time again I would not have spent my money on BHS. DD did well but they never fully stretched her. Many of the parents though were very happy with the school. I know I was in a minority. I do reed the ISI report though and wonder which school they are describing as I don't recognise it. Some of the teaching was great, some awful. Crofton is a great school from what I know from friends. But take a look at the school and see what you think. We sort of fell into independent schooling rather than chose it. As wineoclock says, DD wasn't prepared for NW by the school, we did that ourselves (home tutoring rather than paid). Once we knew her eleven plus result we happily gave notice and the last term of Y6 home educating was fantastic. DD does seem to have made the transition well, the middle school style at BH of moving to some lessons means she was more ready than most of the girls, but that isn't something major and any advantage wears off after a few weeks. She is loving NW and really finding a lot of girls of a like minded nature who love learning and being supportive of each other.

Tiredofbromley Sat 01-Oct-16 16:39:23

I sent my DD to Bromley High for year 3, some years ago. It really suits her (and I wouldn't describe her as someone who fits the mould at all, more quirky). I do think the pastoral side is excellent, and having had a previous experience of bullying not been taken seriously by her previous school at all - I do feel she has been very happy at the school and we had no qualms about her staying on for senior. I have heard it said before people don't feel their child has been stretched. Our experience has been completely the opposite, and she has flourished. That:s not to say there are few downsides -no school is perfect. And for us the downsides of some schools mentioned are not worth it. Obviously anecdotal but we know of two girls who have been really unhappy and felt very unsupported at the super selective grammar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now