Impact of new Kent test on preps

(8 Posts)
Dovahkiin Fri 01-Apr-16 16:12:55

The new 11+ is supposedly 'uncoachable.' Given that the main USP of the local preps is their success rate at 11+, do you think this will have any impact on their numbers?

Floggingmolly Fri 01-Apr-16 16:15:59

Don't prep schools mainly prepare pupils for common entrance, rather than the 11+?

Dovahkiin Fri 01-Apr-16 16:20:36

Ok, the supposedly 'prep' schools which are originally girls' schools and finish at 11.

Lilaclily Fri 01-Apr-16 16:23:08

Personally I think the new Kent test is coach able
The maths was the hardest component and maths is always tutor able ( if that's a word)

meditrina Fri 01-Apr-16 16:31:49

Prep schools which finish at year 6 will be preparing their pupils for the private 11+ (the exam has the same name in both sectors).

So I expect they'll just carry on

Dovahkiin Fri 01-Apr-16 16:34:29

Hmmm. At the moment the 'prep then grammar' route seems fairly established - around 80-90% of the local prep's pupils go on to grammars. Maybe it's not one of the more prestigious one but it's my only point of reference.

Drinkstoomuchcoffee Fri 01-Apr-16 17:42:26

If the test is genuinely uncoachable then those taking the test - whether at prep school (and tutored) at state school (and tutored) should all be on an equal footing.
But as others have said it is difficult to devise a non tutorable test. 11+ style tests look for ability in maths, VR and NVR. Basic ability at 11 will depend on what has been taught at school. There may be a few DCs with an intuitive grasp of long division - but not many. Results can be improved with a little preparation, as there are are only so many Maths, VR and NVR type questions. A new test will probably make things a bit harder for tutors and prep schools but it will not be an unsurmountable obstacle.
By far the biggest determinant of success in the UK school system is family background. Whatever they do with the tests, children with intelligent parents and supportive home backgrounds will perform better than those without, regardless of the school they attend.
I don't think that a new style test will mean fewer children at prep schools. Most parents with money will still see this as a good investment in their DC future - just as many state school parents will continue to pay for tutors, music lessons and sport outside school.
The number of children from deprived backgrounds passing these tests and accessing grammar schools will stay low.

PettsWoodParadise Fri 01-Apr-16 21:05:57

I don't know where the idea of 'new' comes into it. GL have being doing the Kent test for many years. Yes they tweaked it a couple of years ago but it is still broadly the same. DD sat it last Sept with minimal revision and did really well, yes we also know of others who tutored and did ok too from a lower starting point. DD having sat a GL test, a CEM, a superselective NVR/VR and an indie - I found that the one that reflected DD's talent the best was the CEM test. Another parent will probably say something different. This yesr at DD's prep (which doesn't support the 11 plus) was the first test that three quarters stayed on and they are adding an extra year to the senior school as a result. DD is one of the few going onto grammar. Some did pass but are too worried by the politics of education to take up a place so are sticking with what they know. Interesting times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now