Where to Live for good choice of schools?

(12 Posts)
Tian66 Fri 25-Mar-16 23:02:47

Hi, any advice appreciated.
Moving back to UK this Year with DD. Where would be the best area that has Grammar Schools but also good choice secondary schools as a back up. Can be anywhere in England south of Birmingham? not London though. I work from home so commuting is not an issue.

salsamummy Sat 26-Mar-16 10:11:42

Bournemouth/Poole

senua Sat 26-Mar-16 16:36:06

What age are your DC? Have you heard the plans that all schools will be converted to Academies, outside the control of Local Education Authorities. That will have a huge impact and you can't guarantee that what is a good area now will continue to be a good area.

StDogolphin Sat 26-Mar-16 17:05:10

Dorset has Grammar schools, have a look at the area just north of Lyme Regis.

Tian66 Mon 28-Mar-16 00:04:13

She is 10 now.

PettsWoodParadise Mon 28-Mar-16 08:46:12

Check the grammar application rules. For example in my area you have to be living within nine miles at the time of registering for the tests which is late spring, early summer so I presume just a few months away for you. Some of the West Kent grammars are great but the alternatives less so. I am technically in London in Petts Wood / Orpington but it feels very suburban and in some parts rural. We have access to the Bexley grammars, Kent grammars and Bromley grammars but the secondaries are still good for example Ofsted outstanding Darrick Wood (need to live within a mile) . Commute into central London in half an hour.

GRW Mon 28-Mar-16 11:39:48

If you're considering Buckinghamshire all the grammar schools are very good, but many of the upper schools don't have a good reputation. It is a fully selective county, so there are no comprehensive schools, just grammar and upper. My DD is at a grammar school in Aylesbury and they have girls from as far away as Milton Keynes, but I know in South Bucks there are fewer places available for out of county applicants. Waddesdon school is an upper school with an excellent reputation and gets good results, but you would need to live in the catchment area or have links to a church to get a place there.

StDogolphin Mon 28-Mar-16 17:05:53

Salisbury might be worth a look.

TeenAndTween Mon 28-Mar-16 20:42:00

Why go for the stress of grammar schools?

If you moved to Hampshire e.g. Winchester-Romsey-Chandlers Ford triangle you would have very high performing comps and excellent 6th form choices too.

Thornden, Kings, West Gate, Henry Beaufort, Perrins, Romsey, Mountbatten
followed by
Peter Symonds, Barton Peveril

Remember headlines rates won't be as good as grammars, but you need to look at what the top 20-25% achieve.

Don't forget, applications close end October.
Other deadlines will apply for doing 11+ tests.

Papergirl1968 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:21:53

Warwickshire has grammar schools.

Tian66 Wed 30-Mar-16 03:37:15

I cannot believe how difficult this decision is. Thank you everyone who has replied so far I certainly have food for thought.

legofansmum Wed 30-Mar-16 03:48:45

Gloucestershire has at least 6 superb Grammar schools.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now