Standardised tests

(14 Posts)
Arewenearlythereyetmum Sat 27-Feb-16 22:35:28

My DD has just had SS test at school.She is 8 and this is her first year at prep school.The results were 131 for English and 130 for Maths,it says national average is 100.I am new to these tests and wondered how good they are.I would kind of like to know before I ask at school.Has anyone done this tests ?

Clonakiltylil Sat 27-Feb-16 23:17:20

Hello. These seem to be CATs tests which are done several times commencing in Year 3 or 4, I think. The scores go up to 146, as I recall, so 130 is high. They are done in order for the school to ensure that she makes progress against the baseline data - everything is data driven now. In secondary they are taken in years 7, 10 and 12.

Balletgirlmum Sat 27-Feb-16 23:27:17

What tests are they?

Many independent schools use CEM/Durham tests (incas/Midyis/yell is etc)

For incas (primary age) the average is 100 but there is a plus/minus 15 margin. A score of more than 115 indicates above average. A score of more than 130 is exceptional.

Arewenearlythereyetmum Sat 27-Feb-16 23:34:19

Yes thank you, that's what they were called.My DD said she found it easy but as it was her first time I wasn't sure what to expect or what the school expected.

Balletgirlmum Sat 27-Feb-16 23:51:32

Incas are computerised & to start with you get given questions below the expected age level so they are achievable. Then the difficulty increases depending on the child's answers.

Arewenearlythereyetmum Sun 28-Feb-16 00:00:19

So I guess it is hard for a child to know how they think they have done.She was very vague and just said it was maths and patterns etc.

Arewenearlythereyetmum Sun 28-Feb-16 12:04:13

Her teacher did say the results of these tests should help us and the school decide I which direction to look when choosing a senior school for DS.At the top end say Wycombe Abbey or Cheltenham Ladies College does anyone know if these scores would indicate we should think about applying there?

Balletgirlmum Sun 28-Feb-16 17:22:25

It's difficult to say. Ds's school like to have 3 years worth of results before senior entrance.

He scored 131 on the English parts & was put in an extension group as a consequence but he would not be suitable for a hothouse academic school for other reasons.

Arewenearlythereyetmum Sun 28-Feb-16 17:40:37

Thank you Balletgirl,if you don't mind me asking what type of school did they recommend for your DS with these results?

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 28-Feb-16 17:54:16

These scores are not the whole story as they are indication of ability, but you can score highly even if you have processing difficulties. Give the school a bit more of a chance to get to know your DD and her strengths and weaknesses.

Balletgirlmum Sun 28-Feb-16 18:07:26

Ds went to the prep department of a school with its own senior school. Most children carry on into seniors as long as they have good enough incas scores.

In our area parents planning on sending their child to an independent boarding school would have chosen a nearby prep who prepare children for common entrance.

Ds has aspergers

Arewenearlythereyetmum Sun 28-Feb-16 23:10:50

How old is he now,is in senior school yet?.If so I hope he is coping well.

isthisabigdeal Mon 29-Feb-16 13:20:23

I'm a bit suspicious about these types of tests. DS and DD have both scored 140+ across the board for 2 years running whereas based on their actual school work there is a huge disparity in their capabilies.

Arewenearlythereyetmum Mon 29-Feb-16 13:25:36

I think I agree and yet schools seem to value them.Surely the more often a child does the test the better they will get.If you know mind me asking how do your DCs capabilities differ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now