Talk

Advanced search

RGS vs Hampton

(7 Posts)
Tpm2016 Wed 24-Feb-16 14:19:02

Hi- I'm trying to decide between these schools for my son. The facilities at RGS seem horrible compared to Hanpton. Does anyone have experience with either school to advise? Thanks!

Lifeisontheup2 Wed 24-Feb-16 14:41:50

My DS went to RGS and had a great time, came out with very good A levels and a fantastic group of friends most of whom he is still in touch with now he's finished uni.
Not sure what you mean by horrible facilities but then I never considered Hampton as it was too far away without the good public transport links that Guildford had for us so I can't compare them in that respect.

Tpm2016 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:10:14

Thank you. The space seems quite small for 900 boys with no real green outside space. Maybe that doesn't matter? Did you have any concerns with boys' behavior there?

SAHDthatsall Wed 24-Feb-16 18:29:11

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/2571311-hampton

Lifeisontheup2 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:42:06

No concerns whatsoever, my DS was very happy there, he wasn't a hugely confident boy (a bit geeky/nerdy) when he started and we don't have a lot of money but he never had any adverse comments about the size of our house or the design of his trainers, all things that worried me, rather stupidly, before he started.
I never really thought about the outdoor space but they do get plenty of games and it doesn't seem to matter quite so much when they are older.

notagiraffe Wed 24-Feb-16 19:11:37

The schools are both strong but so different. (We looked at both too.) Hampton certainly has better on-site facilities for sport. Both are really good schools and I know lovely boys from both schools who are happy there. All the Hampton parents I know are delighted with it.

It depends what your DS is like.

Both my DSs ended up at RGS - it was their first choice school and ours too. But that's such a personal thing. RGS is quite eccentric and that suited our DC. I couldn't fault the school. They are so happy there. The pastoral care is second to none. It definitely suits a geeky nerdy boy who loves science or music. Hampton may suit a sporty boy more. (Though the super sporty types I know at RGS also seem happy there.) As Lifeis says, RGS stands out among the local independent schools for being particularly unsnobbish about material possessions, status and wealth. No one seems to care. We liked that about it.

For outdoor activity, they seem to spend a lot of time mucking around on the all terrain area, which is quite big. And they have huge, beautiful playing fields at Bradstone Brook. Alsothe cross country team have the advantage of the Surrey Downs on the school's doorstep so they train in open countryside which they enjoy.

One thing to bear in mind is their extra curricular life. RGS might have the edge there. Boys at both schools live very far away from each other. For RGS boys, Guildford soon becomes a meet up spot they can all reach during the holidays. They go bowling, to the cinema, out for dinner, to the Lido or Airhop. They stay behind after school on Fridays to go for coffees or icecreams, browse the book and music shops, catch a film or grab a pizza. It's very sociable. I get the impression from Hampton boys that its location means they are more likely to just go home on the bus and that's it. Public transport to RGS is easier which makes it a bit more flexible when they are doing after school activities. MY DC often stay for after school clubs and can make their way home. With Hampton, I think that if you are at an orchestra practise or match that ends after the school bus has left it's a bit of schlep on different buses. (Depending on where you live.) Just things to bear in mind as they get older.

surreygoldfish Thu 25-Feb-16 20:04:42

Not sure why you would apply if you think the facilities horrible. 2DS at RGS. We discounted Hampton on location/travelling ease. Liked it when we visited it but didn't bother doing the exam. No doubt it has better on site facilities. There are plenty of sporty boys at RGS (mine do sport and music) and I know some nerdy ones at Hampton.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now