Talk

Advanced search

QEGS Blackburn

(12 Posts)
DownWithTitchenor Tue 02-Feb-16 20:15:06

Does anyone have any recent experience of QEGS Blackburn please? Since it went from independent free school.

We have applied for a place for DS for year 7 and if successful (something of a long shot) will have to make a fairly speedy decision between QEGS, Westholme and another NW Independent School.

While the prospect of saving a significant amount of money is desirable I don't want to send DS if standards have dropped significantly.

Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.

bobinsky Wed 03-Feb-16 20:16:53

From what I've heard from a couple of mothers locally, standards are being kept high. Sporting fixtures are still being played against the same independant school leagues and academic subjects are being taught in a traditional way. The former kids of our local primary seem happy.

DownWithTitchenor Fri 26-Feb-16 17:35:38

Thank you Bobinsky - Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here.

Only a few days to go now and I am still unsure what I am going to do if we get a QEGS place!

bobinsky Sat 27-Feb-16 08:01:54

No problem, everyone seems on tenterhooks - not long now! It'll be easier to make the decision when you know the options - and you can always ask for a private tour of the school when it's in session. We did that and it really helped clarify (for my child!) which school fitted best.

DownWithTitchenor Sat 27-Feb-16 09:36:42

DH had a tour a few weeks and was really impressed - I've only had a quick look around on an open day.

DS has two offers from others schools and I have no idea which of those to pick if we don't get QEGS. Not even sure if QEGS is the right school if we do get a place! I have less than a week to make a decision - I really didn't expect to be so stressed over this!

bobinsky Sat 27-Feb-16 13:22:03

Does DS have a preference? If you're out of area you'll stand a better chance at QEGS, Tuesday is just round the corner!

DownWithTitchenor Sat 27-Feb-16 16:48:32

Not really, or so he says. He understands that it is a massive financial commitment and says that he isn't bothered; I do think that the QEGS marketing team have done a great job and that would be his preference if he was being honest.

He's at a private prep now - most, if not all will be staying in the private sector and although that isn't a reason for us to do the same we will probably be the talk of the playground - DS will probably be the only one to go - if he gets a place.

DH is absolutely convinced that we should take QEGS if offered - I still have some reservations as QEGS has to prove itself as a state school.

As you can see still going round in circles...

bobinsky Sat 27-Feb-16 20:23:08

So I see, it really isn't an easy junction in life, is it! My son and I were both super impressed with Qegs when we looked round, the teachers were engaging and seemed boosted by the big influx and interest in the school since switching. I think it will do well. We know 4 families with kids there and they all seem happy with the way things are going. Who knows a few years down the road, but I think that's a risk with any school.
My eldest sat the 11+ and passed, so we know where he will be in September, and friends of his are heading to Westholme. The others we will find out in Tuesday! There are a lot of excellent schools around here, each of which have a really good specialty. Qegs are really good for sport, Westholme for music and drama. But all seem to get the results at gcse and A level too.

DownWithTitchenor Mon 29-Feb-16 12:23:23

One day to go and no nearer to making a decison - thank you for your info though, it will certainly help!

bobinsky Tue 01-Mar-16 04:37:56

How the online allocation has helped with your decision making!

DownWithTitchenor Tue 01-Mar-16 10:11:50

We didn't get QEGS - we now have two independents to choose from this week! I like them both so DS will be able to have some input...

bobinsky Tue 01-Mar-16 12:15:44

Ah, shame. Two out of area and one in catchment kids I know didn't get offered either. Good luck with your decision, gut feeling always seems to work well for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now