loader

Talk

Advanced search

How about this method of revision?

(5 Posts)
Draylon Mon 01-Feb-16 18:06:46

I know you're all about to say 'Our school does it this way, doesn't yours?'

I'm talking about GCSE/AS/A2 here, though it could apply more widely-

But here goes: Once DC are getting close to The Exams, how about once a topic has been 'covered' or in-class revised, the DC sit an exam style question, get it marked (peer?), and discover where they went wrong via the medium of a model answer complete with marks per 'point'.

Then, a suitable time later, they resit maybe a different question on that topic to see what they've learned without it being parrot fashion.

Our college has one subject at AS where the DC have been given the model answers and it's been hugely helpful!

They say 'Revise using past papers'- but- unless they're always marked and heavily commented upon, how do DC know where they're going wrong?

I accept 100% that I'm advocating 'teaching to the test', here, but hey, passing the test is key, isn't it?

Anyway, just my thoughts!

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Feb-16 18:09:22

I hate to burst your bubble but that's not revolutionary. The past papers AND mark schemes are all available on the exam board websites. I tell every student to mark their last papers using the official mark schemes so they get to know the bingo words and phrases that score the most marks.

Draylon Mon 01-Feb-16 18:17:47

purple I'm not sure about bursting my bubble or me considering it 'revolutionary' but the difference between what you say and I suggest is worked, model answers^; yes I ^know some subjects are more subjective than others, but even so, it's useful if a DC knows that 'If you write this, you are demonstrating that you 'get' that, and note how I used an apt quotation'.

That's not the same as a 'mark scheme' e.g:
1 mark- student demonstrates rudimentary knowledge of the topic
2 marks- student demonstrates basic but sound grasp of the easier principles etc

PurpleDaisies Mon 01-Feb-16 18:47:24

I teach science and maths...the mark schemes are basically model answers.

Apologies, what you suggest would work well in humanities subjects if they don't do that already.

Tia1973 Fri 04-Mar-16 14:12:49

MY daughter has found this Free GCSE Maths Revision Course that basically gives video examples of Grade C questions then there are questions for her to do and then she watches video solutions to the questions she's just done to check her answers. I've looked and it's aimed at the D/C boundary students. She says it's really good and it's free so there's nothing to lose  The link is:
https://www.udemy.com/so-you-want-a-grade-c-in-your-maths-gcse-part-1/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now